• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested twice for domestic violence/assault iv in 1 wk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curiouslegal22

My friend got arrested and charged last week for: Malicious Mischief (breaking items in the home while arguing with his grandma), interfering with a police call (he disconnected the phone while his grandma called 9-11), and they also charged him with Domestic Violence/Assault IV although he claimed he never hit his grandma, and he also claims his grandma disputes this and wants to have this dropped. He was given a no-contact order with his grandma for five years, something his grandma also wants dropped.

So he moves in with his grandpa as of a few days ago. Two days ago, he got into an argument that lead to a fight. He claimed it was a self defense, but he was charged with Domestic Violence/Assault IV. Its been 48 hours. He is 19 with no record. How long until his arraignment? How long is he going to be locked up until before the trial? When could he post bond? What kind of sentence is he looking at? WA state has a law I belive where those charged with domestic violence are not released until the arraignment. This aggravates the situation. Thank you.

Eekamouse

Your friend is in a lot of trouble and considering that he assaulted both his grandparents, he SHOULD be sitting in jail.

Just Blue

My friend got arrested and charged last week for: Malicious Mischief (breaking items in the home while arguing with his grandma), interfering with a police call (he disconnected the phone while his grandma called 9-11), and they also charged him with Domestic Violence/Assault IV although he claimed he never hit his grandma, and he also claims his grandma disputes this and wants to have this dropped. He was given a no-contact order with his grandma for five years, something his grandma also wants dropped.

So he moves in with his grandpa as of a few days ago. Two days ago, he got into an argument that lead to a fight. He claimed it was a self defense, but he was charged with Domestic Violence/Assault IV. Its been 48 hours. He is 19 with no record. How long until his arraignment? How long is he going to be locked up until before the trial? When could he post bond? What kind of sentence is he looking at? WA state has a law I belive where those charged with domestic violence are not released until the arraignment. This aggravates the situation. Thank you.
Please have "your friend" post for himself if he would like information from this forum.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Is there a rule on this forum which says you have to be involved in a case yourself in order to get information?
Rule? No.

Preference of the volunteers? Yes.

We don't like dealing with third parties because often they don't have the information to fully flesh out the situation. And, frankly, if one of my friends were spewing my legal business all over the interwebs? They wouldn't be my friend for long. :cool:

BL

I wouldn't try to advocate or defend a so called friend that has no respect for his elders .

Stay out of it.

As my mother once told me ,learn the hard way then.

CdwJava

He was given a no-contact order with his grandma for five years, something his grandma also wants dropped.
Grandma can talk to the DA about that.

So he moves in with his grandpa as of a few days ago.Two days ago, he got into an argument that lead to a fight. He claimed it was a self defense, but he was charged with Domestic Violence/Assault IV.
Is this the same incident you first mentioned, or ANOTHER assault?

Apparently the police did not believe it was self defense. But, your friend's attorney can argue self defense if it's possible ... though that would mean grandma attacked him ... he better hope grandma is an imposing and violent old lady!

Its been 48 hours. He is 19 with no record. How long until his arraignment?
Per rule 4.1 arraignment must be held within 14 days.

How long is he going to be locked up until before the trial?
Far too many variables to possibly answer. He will have a chance to make bail well before trial, but trial could be weeks, months, or a year or two out depending on the details, the court's calendar, and the motions put forth by the parties.

When could he post bond?
Whenever he has the money together.

What kind of sentence is he looking at?
That depends on the specific code sections charged. You can look here if it's that important to know now: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/

Otherwise, he can ask his attorney what the possible sentence could be if convicted on all counts.

WA state has a law I belive where those charged with domestic violence are not released until the arraignment. This aggravates the situation.
If there is such a rule, it is there to protect the victim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">