• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested when turning myself in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flight

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was arrested for stealing and later turned myself in. I came back to pay and it didn't go well and they called the police to arrest me. I am 42 years old and never been arrest or in trouble with the law. The police felt sorry for me and said that I should have not turned myself and forget that it ever happen and never should have came back, but it was too late. The lawyers said the same thing.

What I don't understand is why district attorney ask for DNA samples of something that is a low level crime in the fifth degree and is class A misdemeanor. Why would they need a DNA sample I find that offensive as I never committed a crime before. I am not a killer, rapist, drug lord, or anything that physical or mental hurt another individual. Is this common to have a DNA sample for something this low.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was arrested for stealing and later turned myself in. I came back to pay and it didn't go well and they called the police to arrest me. I am 42 years old and never been arrest or in trouble with the law. The police felt sorry for me and said that I should have not turned myself and forget that it ever happen and never should have came back, but it was too late. The lawyers said the same thing.

What I don't understand is why district attorney ask for DNA samples of something that is a low level crime in the fifth degree and is class A misdemeanor. Why would they need a DNA sample I find that offensive as I never committed a crime before. I am not a killer, rapist, drug lord, or anything that physical or mental hurt another individual. Is this common to have a DNA sample for something this low.
I would think that DNA is standard.

justalayman

I would think that DNA is standard.
to me it's not clear if the DNA was as part of the booking or it was part of the evidence gathering process.

apparently it is legal to take a dna sample, at least in NY, as part of the booking process. If it was not part of that process, I would suspect it would require a warrant to obtain the sample (but not certain)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What were you charged with? Sounds like larceny but there is no fifth degree of larceny, so I'm guessing there is more to this story or maybe you're clueless.

DNA samples are now taken for many different crimes in New York.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">