• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hardtimesinMO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri

can you be arrested without making a statement on your charges?
Doesn't the police have to tell you specifically what you are charged with i mean for instance they say your charged for indangering a child but not specifically what you did to get those charges?
and last is it against the law for a police officer to lie for instance my boyfriend got arrested for rape and the cop came out and told me that he admitted to it when in reality he didn't admit to it?
please help!

CdwJava

can you be arrested without making a statement on your charges?
Of course.

Doesn't the police have to tell you specifically what you are charged with i mean for instance they say your charged for indangering a child but not specifically what you did to get those charges?
If not told at the time they slap the cuffs on you, you should be notified of the charges when you are booked into jail or released with a citation into court.

and last is it against the law for a police officer to lie for instance my boyfriend got arrested for rape and the cop came out and told me that he admitted to it when in reality he didn't admit to it?
please help!
Well, you were not there, so you do not KNOW what it was that your boyfriend said. But, COULD he lie to you about your boyfriend's statement? Yes. And there might be some valid reasons to do so.

dave33

Basically, the police do not have to tell you anything. Although when you are released, in the papers they give you one of them should be the criminal charges. Also, the police can legally lie,deceive,mislead or use any other interrogational method they believe will give them the desired result. That is why some of the best advice is decline comment and insist upon counsel.

CdwJava

Well ... not entirely true, Dave33. The methods used cannot otherwise convince a person of reasonable thought who is innocent to admit to a crime they did not commit. If the court sees that the pressure applied during the interrogation would likely compel a reasonable and intelligent person to admit to a crime they did not commit, the statement would likely be tossed.

So, there are limits to the deception that may be applied. And, most agencies try not to use extreme methods of deception just because they do not look good before a jury. Aside from exaggerating the evidence, we rarely resort to such tricks as there is little need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">