• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault 1 Charge, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dengel22

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am writing this on behalf of my son who is currently in jail on an assault 1 charge when he was defending himself. Here's the situation as it was told to me by several of the witnesses. A neighbor of my son's gave him $5.00 for gas money to give him a ride to work. When my son got home, the neighbor said that he was late for work and lost his job because of my son. My son and the neighbor had a verbal disagreement on what time he was suppose to have been to work. It finally was resolved peacefully at this point and they went there separate ways. Later in the evening, the neighbor after drinking heavily, decided to confront my son and his wife again. He barged into their apartment got in his and his wife's face demanding that they return the $5.00 that he gave then for gas. When they said that they had put it in the car and they would pay him back when my son got paid he became very irate. He made verbal threats to my son and his wife to the affect the "he was going to kill them both". He proceeded to corner my son in the kitchen of his apartment saying "just give me a reason to kill you". At this point my son held back and did nothing but demand the neighbor to leave. The neighbor then punched the cabinet above my son's head putting a hole through the door. He then punched my son in the face. There was a block of knives on the counter and the neighbor appeared to be going for a knife. My son grabbed one of the knives and knocked the rest on the floor. Again he was demanding that the neighbor leave. Instead this guy punches my son again, slams him to the floor, dislocating his shoulder, and jumped on top of him. He had initially lost the knife when he hit the ground but found it and ultimately swung his arm around and stabbed the guy in the lower back. He finally got off of my son and said that he was going to the hospital and when he got out he would find my son, his wife and their daughter and kill them all. Now my son is being charged with assault 1 when he was protecting his wife and himself from a man who has bragged to them about killing someone at the age of 13 and is a convicted felon for drugs and assault. I just don't understand how he could even be charged with a crime. Can anyone enlighten on how the law works because this whole thing makes no sense to me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">