• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen061875

What is the name of your state? Louisiana is my state.

Yesterday I was with my fiance' and we were dropping off his little girl for a little league game. His ex-wife was there which is the usual, and as we came up she started going off on my fiance' about being late. Which we were not the game had not even started yet. She was cussing him for all he was worth, when evidently she though I said something to her. She called me some rather foul names and lunged for me across my fiance' (he was standing in front of me and hit me in the face. Her husband and brother then proceeded to jump on my fiance' and beat him. I am pressing assault charges on her. My fiance was arrested for disturbing the peace, even though he never swung at either of the men. What all can we do legally?

Thank you

BelizeBreeze

Well let's see. Since you have nothing to do with the relationship of the three (mother, father and child) why are you even accompanying him to the exchange? Stay home.

Also, you have already said you have filed assault charges. What can this forum give you other than follow through with them.

outonbail

Well let's see. Since you have nothing to do with the relationship of the three (mother, father and child) why are you even accompanying him to the exchange? Stay home.
I agree, the only thing you can contribute to this situation is fuel for the fire. Do your boyfriend a favor and allow him to pick up and deliver his child without you sitting there smiling in the chaperone seat.
If you insist on being present during these exchanges, plan on more scenes like the one your describing here.

As far as your boyfriends charges, he should start looking for independant witnesses to this incident as your testimoney will not be viewed as being impartial.

gawm

The ex-wife is already remarried, she should not have a problem with her ex bringing along the fiance to a drop off. This lady is going to be the child's step mother so they all should learn to get along and act civilized in front of the child. That being said, there has to be more to this story.

Happy Trails

I wonder if any of this would have happened if they would have gotten the child there on time. (Just because the game hadn't started, doesn't mean they weren't late.)

We all can only imagine what actually transpired.

From Louisiana statutes:

SUBPART C. OFFENSES AFFECTING THE

GENERAL PEACE AND ORDER

§103. Disturbing the peace

A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:

(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter; or

(2) Addressing any offensive, derisive, or annoying words to any other person who is lawfully in any street, or other public place; or call him by any offensive or derisive name, or make any noise or exclamation in his presence and hearing with the intent to deride, offend, or annoy him, or to prevent him from pursuing his lawful business, occupation, or duty; or

(3) Appearing in an intoxicated condition; or

(4) Engaging in any act in a violent and tumultuous manner by any three or more persons; or

(5) Holding of an unlawful assembly; or

(6) Interruption of any lawful assembly of people; or

(7) Repealed by Acts 1979, No. 222, §3.

Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than ninety days, or both.

jen061875

Just a reply to the advice that was posted back on my question. There is absolutely NO REASON that I should not be able to accomany my FIANCE to a little league PUBLIC baseball game. There is NOTHING else to this story except the fact that the ex-wife is a complete psycho path. And YES the game HAD NOT started and just because it had not started DID IN FACT mean that we WERE NOT LATE. AS stated by the UMPIRES of the game. So thanks for your 2 cents that is about all it was worth.

Happy Trails

jen061875 said:
Just a reply to the advice that was posted back on my question. There is absolutely NO REASON that I should not be able to accomany my FIANCE to a little league PUBLIC baseball game. There is NOTHING else to this story except the fact that the ex-wife is a complete psycho path. And YES the game HAD NOT started and just because it had not started DID IN FACT mean that we WERE NOT LATE. AS stated by the UMPIRES of the game. So thanks for your 2 cents that is about all it was worth.
So the umpires are the ones that tell what time the children are suppose to be there? :rolleyes:

jen061875

Yes actually the umpires DO decide when the game starts. Obviously you have not been to many little league games. The President of the little league was there. She and her husband BOTH who both work as umpires. And they BOTH stated that we were not late for the game. Oh yes the only thing I left out was that there was STILL another game going on when we got there so there was NO WAY that we were late. Why is it so difficult to believe that I did nothing to provoke this fight? NOTHING--The only time I have even spoken to this woman that HIT ME IN THE FACE BY THE WAY is whenever my boyfriends little girl is at our house and she calls to speak to her. All I do then is say "yes" then give the child the phone. I didn't say anything to her that night either but evidently you are basing your ignorant opinion off of something you must have seen on Springer or something. What complete nonsense.

Happy Trails

jen061875 said:
Yes actually the umpires DO decide when the game starts. Obviously you have not been to many little league games. The President of the little league was there. She and her husband BOTH who both work as umpires. And they BOTH stated that we were not late for the game. Oh yes the only thing I left out was that there was STILL another game going on when we got there so there was NO WAY that we were late. Why is it so difficult to believe that I did nothing to provoke this fight? NOTHING--The only time I have even spoken to this woman that HIT ME IN THE FACE BY THE WAY is whenever my boyfriends little girl is at our house and she calls to speak to her. All I do then is say "yes" then give the child the phone. I didn't say anything to her that night either but evidently you are basing your ignorant opinion off of something you must have seen on Springer or something. What complete nonsense.
Was the child on a team or was she just there to watch? I don't condone how the mother and others acted.

It's difficult to believe that you weren't late, because obviously the mother was mad and said you were. If you don't talk to her and just say "yes" and hand the child the phone then there must have been a miscommunication somewhere.

I raised three children that were all involved in T-ball, Pony League, Little League, High School Baseball League and High School Fast- pitch. I co-coached for 2 years (PL) and coached for 5 years (LL).

The umpires do decide when the game starts (but that isn't what I asked).

I asked:
So the umpires are the ones that tell what time the children are suppose to be there?
All the teams my children were on, it was the coach that set the time the players needed to be there. For obvious reasons, the children need to warm up, stretch out, get a pep talk, know there positions, get some batting practice in, etc. If she wasn't on the team, then mom must have expected her there at a certain time. Maybe she is the biggest "B", but until the child turns 18, everyone needs to get along.

So what time was the child suppose to be there and what time did you arrive? Even if you were late, that doesn't justify what followed. So, yes, pursue the assault charge.

The whole scene simply got out of control and it's a shame the children had to see such a thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">