• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault Bodily Injury - How does it work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texas777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Three days ago, my now ex assaulted me and caused bodily injury. I called 911, but he left before they got there. I think he may be staying somewhere else to avoid arrest. My questions are:

1) Will the police be actively looking for him to arrest him, like calling his relatives and such, or will they just do something passive like send him a letter in the mail?
2) Will he automatically get a warrant for his arrest?
3) If there is a warrant, is there a deadline for him to turn himself in?
4) If it goes to trial and he lies to try to get out of it, like saying I attacked him first or something, what usually happens? It would just be my word against his since we were in his apartment alone. Knowing him, he would lie.

I'm just wondering if anything is being done. I searched the online for arrests, warrants, and inmates and he doesn't show up. I also searched online for the police report, but the response I get is that it is unavailable due to pending approval.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've never been in a situation like this before.

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Three days ago, my now ex assaulted me and caused bodily injury. I called 911, but he left before they got there. I think he may be staying somewhere else to avoid arrest. My questions are:

1) Will the police be actively looking for him to arrest him, like calling his relatives and such, or will they just do something passive like send him a letter in the mail?
4) If it goes to trial and he lies to try to get out of it, like saying I attacked him first or something, what usually happens? It would just be my word against his since we were in his apartment alone. Knowing him, he would lie.

I'm just wondering if anything is being done. I searched the online for arrests, warrants, and inmates and he doesn't show up. I also searched online for the police report, but the response I get is that it is unavailable due to pending approval.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've never been in a situation like this before.
Were you living together in his apartment? If so, are you still living there?? (Bad idea if you are--get out now!)
If you were dating, he may be charged with a domestic violence assault, which can be different than a simple assault.
Did you go to a doctor or hospital, since you had injuries? Did the police take pictures of any injuries?

Probably why it is not showing up is because it is being investigated and/or turned over to the local prosecuting attorney for charges to be filed. If a warrant is issued (and it is not automatic), there probably won't be a date for him to turn himself in. An active warrant remains in the the database as long as it is unserved.

Contact a local domestic violence shelter, they can provide you better answers and emotional support.
http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/Help/family-violence/centers.shtml

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That depends upon many factors. We can't answer that question. If there is a detective or investigator assigned to your case you need to discuss it with him/her.

That depends upon if the police feel there is probable cause to arrest him. Again, without being there I cannot answer that question. If there is a determination that there is probable cause then I would think that the police would seek a warrant. If not then it's possible that he will be interviewed as part of the investigation to help make a determination.

Never heard of anything like that. A warrant does not give a person the right or chance to turn themselves in.

That is for a jury or judge to determine. That's why there are trials. For all anyone knows you could be lying also. It all depends on the evidence presented.

I'm just wondering if anything is being done.
We cannot help there. You need to contact the law enforcement agency that took the report.

texas777

Thank you for answering my post. No, we don't live together. I have my own house. I don't plan to ever see him again unless to testify in court. Yes, I did have scrapes and bruises. The police took pictures of my injuries. But, I did not go to the hospital.

I'm just wondering if police normally take action in these types of cases or if the crime goes unpunished. I will contact the police department tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">