• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault charge-no witnesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tommichaels

What is the name of your state? MD

I am in a room alone with a teenager...we exchange strong words...he later says I pushed him...no physical damages...no witness...is this just his word against mine??

Can he stll file charges??

Arrested?? Go to trial??

tm

T

tommichaels

So you are saying that I could go to the police....claim I've been pushed...and based on MY word have a person arrested??

That doesn't sound fair!!

t

CdwJava

tommichaels said:
So you are saying that I could go to the police....claim I've been pushed...and based on MY word have a person arrested??

That doesn't sound fair!!

t
You can claim he assaulted you, and depending on the laws in your state, you may even be able to get him arrested ... maybe. But, proving it in court is real iffy.

In CA you could make a 'private person's arrest' (aka a citizen's arrest) and the police would have to accept it. But, they would have the option of citing and releasing the suspect as opposed to jailing him. I am sure MD has something similar.

It may not be fair, but it's possible. However, if the event is in the past, then the chances of arrest drop precipitously.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">