• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempted Shop Lifting Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newyorkyfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I would like to know how long an "attempted shop lifting" charge stays on your record for?

In my situation I was 17 years old when I was accused of shop lifting by a store clerk, I was shopping for shoes and I tried them on and the lady thought I was going to walk out with the shoes on. I tried to speak with her and cooperate but she refused to talk to me and called the police on me. I could have fleed the scene if I wanted to but instead I stuck around because I knew I had done nothing wrong. Once the police officer arrived I explained to him what had happend and he asked the lady to give me an opportunity to atleast explain my story to her but she refused to have any type of conversation with me and told the police officer that she would really like it if he arrested me. The police officer was left with no choice but to arrest me. I was taken to the station and got out on a $40 bail.

The next morning when I appeared in court the judge didn't really give me an opportunity to explain what had happend and he just said he wouldn't convict me for the crime so I was asked to pay a $100 fine and let go with no sentencing or probation time.

Since I was not convicted of the crime I would like to know what charges are going to show up on my criminal record/background check? Will these charges affect me in the near future when it comes to getting jobs etc.?

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I would like to know how long an "attempted shop lifting" charge stays on your record for?

In my situation I was 17 years old when I was accused of shop lifting by a store clerk, I was shopping for shoes and I tried them on and the lady thought I was going to walk out with the shoes on. I tried to speak with her and cooperate but she refused to talk to me and called the police on me. I could have fleed the scene if I wanted to but instead I stuck around because I knew I had done nothing wrong. Once the police officer arrived I explained to him what had happend and he asked the lady to give me an opportunity to atleast explain my story to her but she refused to have any type of conversation with me and told the police officer that she would really like it if he arrested me. The police officer was left with no choice but to arrest me. I was taken to the station and got out on a $40 bail.

The next morning when I appeared in court the judge didn't really give me an opportunity to explain what had happend and he just said he wouldn't convict me for the crime so I was asked to pay a $100 fine and let go with no sentencing or probation time.

Since I was not convicted of the crime I would like to know what charges are going to show up on my criminal record/background check? Will these charges affect me in the near future when it comes to getting jobs etc.?
How did you get a fine if you were convicted or adjudicated?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">