• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automatic Warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jbj117

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

If a police report is filed for a minor altercation, does that automatically mean a warrant is issued against the person being reported? My fiance and I went to his friend's home to collect the balance owed on two computers my fiance allowed his friend to purchase on his credit account, or to reposses one of the computers so it could be sold in restitution. My fiance was advised by a call to the police beforehand that he would be within his rights to do so. The friend woud not let us in his home, he took a swing at my fiance, my fiance hit back and tried to push his way into the apartment. I yelled for him to stop, he did, the door slammed shut, we left. We know a report was filed, but neither of us has experience with this sort of thing so we don't know what to expect from it. If arrested, would he be detained or released; if detained, what would be a typical bail? Thanks for any advise or insight anyone can offer.

B

Boxcarbill

So I take it that your boyfriend didn't hear that part about "without breaching the peace." If charges are filed, they will will most likely be for misdemeanor assault. Bail on a misdemeanor can be anything from a PR (basically his good word that he will show for trial) to run a few hundred dollars.

Side bar: I thought everyone's mom explained to them before the age of six not to ever fight another person on that person's property. Just one of many reasons why kids should listen to their parents!

J

jbj117

automatic warrant?

Your input is appreciated and somewhat helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am curious about something, however. What useful purpose does the arrogant attitude and the sarcasm serve? Does it somehow enhance one's sense of power? You apparently have no tolerance for those who are not familiar with legal matters, or who find themselves in an unusal situation, often because of uncharacteristic behaviors. Yet, for some reason unfathomable to me, you delight in displaying disregard for the common social etiquette of politeness that the majority of people learn before puberty...somewhat reminiscent of a schoolyard bully. You obviously have an intellect for law; what a shame you feel it necessary to attempt to use it as a tool for debasement, as well. Incorporating integrity into your replies would garner respect for your knowledge; arrogance and sarcasm do not. Then again, respect may well be something for which you have no desire. Just my humble opinion.

HomeGuru

Re: automatic warrant?

jbj117 said:
Your input is appreciated and somewhat helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am curious about something, however. What useful purpose does the arrogant attitude and the sarcasm serve? Does it somehow enhance one's sense of power? You apparently have no tolerance for those who are not familiar with legal matters, or who find themselves in an unusal situation, often because of uncharacteristic behaviors. Yet, for some reason unfathomable to me, you delight in displaying disregard for the common social etiquette of politeness that the majority of people learn before puberty...somewhat reminiscent of a schoolyard bully. You obviously have an intellect for law; what a shame you feel it necessary to attempt to use it as a tool for debasement, as well. Incorporating integrity into your replies would garner respect for your knowledge; arrogance and sarcasm do not. Then again, respect may well be something for which you have no desire. Just my humble opinion.
**A: BCB is a well respected contributor attorney on this website. Your opinion is not a humble opinion, it's a grumble opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">