• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

B felony for contraband in prison???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShadeOBlue

What is the name of your state? NH A yr ago Jan 29th I was visiting an inmate in the state prison. I did pass him a slug of tobaco that he got caught with. I went to talk to the investigators because they told me if I cooperate it would be okay. Meaning no charges. This inmate is no longer a friend of mine...saw his true colors. Major con. Well now, almost a yr later, I get an inditement to go to court on a B felony charge of bringing contraband to a prisoner. What??? How can they do this a yr later and why a felony charge? I've already admitted back when this happened so what can I expect from this. I do believe he had something to do with this as he's rather upset with me. I've led a clean life for almost 25yrs. I did get arrested for welfare fraud way back then but that's it. I haven't yet paid them back in full yet either and am wondering if this has something to do with the charge. I can't believe this is happening...I've just divorced a 31yr bad marriage and had a relationship with a con artist and now this. I've driven school bus for the past 10 yrs and am worried about how this will be affected. Any advice PLEASE!!! I have no money for a lawyer and an appointed one will be hired. Thanks.

outonbail

visiting an inmate in the state prison. I did pass him a slug of tobaco that he got caught with.
Seems to me that every prison on the planet has signs posted in plain view which clearly advise you that passing drugs, weapons, contraband etc. to an inmate you are visiting, is a violation of the law, with the applicable penal code you will be prosecuted under as well. They post these signs so that someone who lacks the common sense to realize passing these things to prison inmates would be against the law, is aware of the laws and the punishment for committing such an obvious crime.

I went to talk to the investigators because they told me if I cooperate it would be okay. Meaning no charges.
You meant to say, you assumed they were implying no charges. I doubt they told you no charges would be filed. But even if they did, they can say whatever they believe will get you to admit to your crime. In this case they found the right words.

Well now, almost a yr later, I get an inditement to go to court on a B felony charge of bringing contraband to a prisoner. What???
What???, what did you expect would happen, you were in a PRISON, smuggling in contraban to an inmate aka FELON, which is illegal!

How can they do this a yr later and why a felony charge?
They wanted to be sure you received it in time for Christmas. It's a felony charge because it's a felony crime. I know it's confusing, so here's the math: Felony crime + getting caught + admitting to Felony crime = Felony charges

I've already admitted back when this happened so what can I expect from this
A guilty verdict.

I do believe he had something to do with this as he's rather upset with me.
Not sure how they do things in NH, but in CA, the prisoners do not dictate who the guards press charges on. He's probably upset with you for singing like a bird to the guards who've already made sure that time was added to his sentence.

I've just divorced a 31yr bad marriage and had a relationship with a con artist and now this.
Poor choices in men is no one's fault but your own dear.

I've driven school bus for the past 10 yrs and am worried about how this will be affected.
You may just get to ride as a passenger on a bus in the near future. One without emergency exits and where the passengers all dress alike...

Whoa... u should not do that... now u soon be convicted felon for giving contraband to that person. WOW

ShadeOBlue said:
What is the name of your state? NH A yr ago Jan 29th I was visiting an inmate in the state prison. I did pass him a slug of tobaco that he got caught with. I went to talk to the investigators because they told me if I cooperate it would be okay. Meaning no charges. This inmate is no longer a friend of mine...saw his true colors. Major con. Well now, almost a yr later, I get an inditement to go to court on a B felony charge of bringing contraband to a prisoner. What??? How can they do this a yr later and why a felony charge? I've already admitted back when this happened so what can I expect from this. I do believe he had something to do with this as he's rather upset with me. I've led a clean life for almost 25yrs. I did get arrested for welfare fraud way back then but that's it. I haven't yet paid them back in full yet either and am wondering if this has something to do with the charge. I can't believe this is happening...I've just divorced a 31yr bad marriage and had a relationship with a con artist and now this. I've driven school bus for the past 10 yrs and am worried about how this will be affected. Any advice PLEASE!!! I have no money for a lawyer and an appointed one will be hired. Thanks.

ShadeOBlue

Well thankyou for your response. I wasn't looking for a judgement...I already know what a fool I was. I now know that convicts are conmen. You see, I had never met one before. And he told me to cooperate so I guess he was a fool also.
What I was really looking for was maybe a little advice....an idea of what the sentencing could turn out to be. If I have anything on my side to fight with.
Anyways, Merry Christmas to you all.

HomeGuru

ShadeOBlue said:
Well thankyou for your response. I wasn't looking for a judgement...I already know what a fool I was.

**A: your honesty is appreciated.
I now know that convicts are conmen.

**A: hahaha, too funny.

You see, I had never met one before. And he told me to cooperate so I guess he was a fool also.

**A: oh brother.
What I was really looking for was maybe a little advice....an idea of what the sentencing could turn out to be. If I have anything on my side to fight with.

**A: yes, you do have something to fight with; half a brain

**A: hohoho**************.

phishex

ShadeOBlue said:
Well thankyou for your response. I wasn't looking for a judgement...I already know what a fool I was. I now know that convicts are conmen. You see, I had never met one before. And he told me to cooperate so I guess he was a fool also.
You thought wrong. There are only 2-3 people on this site that will help you with legitimate responses. The rest are a bunch of flamers like this guy that just want to ridicule and joke about the serious situation you are now in. You will just have to have patience and maybe one of the decent members out here will come across your post and give you some advice...just ignore these morons that give you grief. If their situation was perfect they would never have found this website either...

HomeGuru

phishex said:
You thought wrong. There are only 2-3 people on this site that will help you with legitimate responses. The rest are a bunch of flamers like this guy that just want to ridicule and joke about the serious situation you are now in. You will just have to have patience and maybe one of the decent members out here will come across your post and give you some advice...just ignore these morons that give you grief. If their situation was perfect they would never have found this website either...

**A: have you read your previous posts lately? Oh well, you still would not get the picture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">