• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check on family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjcpete

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

I had a few questions about background checks. Long story short - my mother has been in and out of prison and jail for years. She stole my identity when I was younger and has been in prison for fraud because of this, among other things. She has been to jail for pawning stolen goods. She has had a drug problem in the past. I now have a family and she is wanting to be a part of our lives saying she's turned her life around. Before I let her spend any time with my children I would like to obtain a background check on her, as she has 2 warrants out for her arrest currently. She claims her identity was stolen for one (grand theft auto) and the other was failure to appear in court. I'm not sure what the court appearance was for and I never really know if she is ever telling the truth about these things anyway. I have no idea if she's had other hearings or what they would have been for.

1. Will she know I have requested a background check on her?
2. Is it legal for me to do so?
3. Is there a reliable website to go through, or am I going to need to go to a government office?
4. Is there an easier way to go about these types of records? I have googled her and she has lied about her identity so many times (lots of aliases) that I have no idea if what I am reading is true. A friend from Florida mentioned that in that state, they can just look people up by name on their state website and it brings up all of their criminal records. But I am thinking South Dakota keeps those private, as I can't find a place to do that at.

Thanks for any help in advance. It is much appreciated.

mjcpete

Also I am very sorry if this is the incorrect place to ask this question. I wasn't quite sure if there was a better section of the forum or not.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
1. Will she know I have requested a background check on her?
No.
2. Is it legal for me to do so?
Yes.
3. Is there a reliable website to go through, or am I going to need to go to a government office?
There are many private background check companies at various pricing. It's typically a state by state thing but for sufficient money you can check everywhere.
States differ in how convenient they make access to the records, the private companies are almost always easier.
4. Is there an easier way to go about these types of records? I have googled her and she has lied about her identity so many times (lots of aliases) that I have no idea if what I am reading is true. A friend from Florida mentioned that in that state, they can just look people up by name on their state website and it brings up all of their criminal records. But I am thinking South Dakota keeps those private, as I can't find a place to do that at.
Florida is unusual in offering this service so conveniently (it's still a for fee service).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">