• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check time frame?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenguy1999

What is the name of your state? florida. i was involved in a bar fight in florida. adjudication was witheld in the case. i was placed on probation and was released 1/2 way through. i was told by someone that the 7 year background check doesn't go back to the original date of the offense but goes back 7 years to include the entire time a person was on probation. i recently had a background check done and this incident which is 8 years old came up. my question is this, does the 7 year check go back to the date a person is released from probation or does it go back to the date the probation was naturally supposed to end? thank you for your responses.

CdwJava

There is no cookie-cutter background check. So depending on who the prospective employer is, and what resources they are utilizing in this check, they may or may not find out about it.

And a check of court records through any of a number of services can almost always find out about old stuff ... so this 7 year rule may not even be relevant.

the best assumption is to always assume that the past WILL be uncovered and be up front about it. And if it's a government agency doing the check, you can almost guarantee that they will find it no matter how much time has passed.

- Carl

greenguy1999

florida.
i actually did list it on my application since the question was, were you ever, not were you in the last 7 years. when i signed the background waiver, that's when it said a 7 year check would be done. i assumed since it were beyond 7 years, it wouldn't show even though i listed it on my application. i just need to know for further situations if 7 years means to the date i was released from probation or 7 years from the original termination date had i not petitioned to be released early. it's obviously not from the incidents date or it wouldn't have shown up. thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">