• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad checks - HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynn1996

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Lived in Ohio 10 years ago...just moved back to Ohio from Wisconsin and found a warrant for my arrest for bad check/bad checks issued in 1999. We moved in Aug. 1999 and the file date for the check is Oct. 1999. Shows this is a misdeamenor 1 in the state of Ohio. What does this mean and what am I looking at getting for this? I am going in Monday to the circuit court and turning myself in since it's now Friday and I can't do anything, unless I want to sit in jail for the weekend. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I've also applied for a job and they are doing a background check...will I possibly lose this job?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Lived in Ohio 10 years ago...just moved back to Ohio from Wisconsin and found a warrant for my arrest for bad check/bad checks issued in 1999. We moved in Aug. 1999 and the file date for the check is Oct. 1999. Shows this is a misdeamenor 1 in the state of Ohio. What does this mean and what am I looking at getting for this? I am going in Monday to the circuit court and turning myself in since it's now Friday and I can't do anything, unless I want to sit in jail for the weekend. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I've also applied for a job and they are doing a background check...will I possibly lose this job?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Go take care of it on Monday. Who knows what will happen but it is better to deal with the issue sooner rather than later.

About the job... who knows... no crystal ball.

lynn1996

That is exactly why I am going right away on Monday. I want to take care of this. Am I looking at getting jail time?

outonbail

When I go turn myself in on Monday, will they take me to jail until I go to court?
Can they take you into custody? Answer: Yes

Will they take you into custody? Answer: No one knows.

It can depend on your prior criminal record, the amount of the check, if it was written on a closed account and most importantly, if the Judge is in a good mood or not.

Do you know how much the check was written for?
Do you know who it was written to?

It may help if you were to go to the victim and pay them the money they are due because of the bad check. You will be required to do this eventually anyway, so why postpone the inevitable?

If you don't know who the check was written to, then go to the clerks window first thing Monday morning and ask the clerk to have you placed on calender. You might also ask the clerk if you will be required to post bail.

They might tell you and they may just say it is up to the judge. I'd bring some $$ just in case.

You may be able to speak to the DA before you stand before the judge and you can ask the DA what can be worked out to correct the situation. Possibly check writing school, restitution to the victim and an administration fee to the courts.

lynn1996

I have no idea who the check was written to, nor do I know how much it was for. I do not have anything else on my record. As I said before, I moved from Ohio in Aug. 1999 and the arrest date was Oct. 1999. I'm thinking a check must have gone thru on an account that was closed after we moved, but not real sure.

outonbail

I have no idea who the check was written to, nor do I know how much it was for.
OK, lets address this point first. I'm going to list my opinion, so please don't receive it as a personal attack.
When you write a check to pay for something, you note the transaction in your checkbook and adjust your running account balance accordingly.

At the end of each month, you receive a statement from the bank. This statement lists all checks which have cleared up to the date the statement was produced. It also lists any and all bank charges taken from your account.
This is when you do an audit of your account and make sure the bank statement jives with your accounting figures.

Prior to closing a checking account, most people stop writing checks from the account for at least a month, in order to give any outstanding checks time to be processed and paid. Then when you close the account, you inquire about any checks which you don't see clearing on your statement, to see if they have in fact came in. If not, you either leave enough in the account to cover the uncleared checks, or contact the party you wrote the check to and find out why it hasn't been presented to the bank yet.

When you do this, you should know of any and all outstanding check numbers, how much they were written for and to who they were written.

Not everyone is efficient with doing the math for their checking account. This is of course their fault and the courts make these folks attend a check writing school so they learn what they need to know so it doesn't happen again.

Now if a check is presented to the bank subsequent to the account being closed, then it was either written by the account holder after closing the account and they knew or should have known the check was no good when they issued it. This is against the law.
Or, it is possible that a check was held or lost for an extended period of time and when it was finally presented, the account was closed. This should have been caught by proper accounting practices. While there was no criminal intent in this case, it was still the responsibility of the account holder to know this check was outstanding when they closed the account.

Another possibility is that the account holder did not destroy their checks when they closed the account and some unknown person found them in the trash and proceeded to use them without the account holder's knowledge. This is of course against the law.
The bank should have caught the signature as being fraudulent, but rarely do.

Now for the many opportunities you should have had to discover a check was written against your account, even if you missed it in your accounting.
1. You would have received notification from your bank
2. You would have received notification from the victim
3. You would have received notification from the DA's bad check division.
4. You would have had trouble opening a new checking account at all banks
5. Your checks would have been rejected by telecheck when presented to an
establishment who utilizes their service.

So, did you leave a forwarding address when you moved?
Did you open any new checking accounts subsequent to closing this one?
Did anyone ever refuse to accept your checks for payment?

I do not have anything else on my record.
This is a good thing. Do you have a history of writing checks which were not honored by the bank?

As I said before, I moved from Ohio in Aug. 1999 and the arrest date was Oct. 1999.
This delay in charges being filed may be normal. There is time given for the victim to notify you to resolve the problem and there is usually notification given by the court or a notice to appear before a warrant is issued, so charges being filed two months after the fact are not unreasonable.

I'm thinking a check must have gone thru on an account that was closed after we moved, but not real sure.
I wouldn't mention this to the DA or judge as it makes you sound like you do have knowledge of what happened. If you don't know, don't make any guesses. There may be several possibilities, but I wouldn't pick any and then mention them in court.

I would personally go to my bank and ask them to look in their records and provide you with the check number(s) of any NSF checks or account closed returns which happened in the time frame when you closed your account.

If you forgot a check was written for $2.00 when you purchased packing tape for moving boxes and it bounced, that's is one thing.
But if you forgot you purchased $2,000.00 worth of clothing, that is not going to look very good and will not fly.

If there was fraud on your account, you should learn this by seeing a copy of the check and the signature. This is another reason why I would check with the banking institution before going to court. If it was a stolen check, you would file a report with the bank and bring in the paperwork to show the DA this was not of your doing.

Hope this information helps,,,,

lynn1996

Thank you for your opinion. It does help.

I did leave a forwarding address when I left and I never received ANYTHING from anyone about a bad check. I opened an account in Wisconsin after we moved and nothing was ever said. Again, I will say this was 10 years ago and not to make any excuses, but my daughter had just had open heart surgery and her and I were medflighted to Wisconsin from Ohio, so a lot of things could have been forgotten. I don't know who the check was written to or for how much- I know the Sheriff's office told me it was $1,000 bond when I go in and I have to pay 10% of that.

All I know is I want to get this cleared up and am scared to death to be thrown in jail!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">