• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bag Search at Costco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sebbyclaude

Don't know what happened to what I actually wrote, but my question was if it was legal for a bagger at Costco to search through a personal bag without asking for or receiving consent from the customer while in the checkout lane?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/bag-search-costco-618227.html

Some bag searches are acceptable, in some circumstances moreso than others.

However, since the cashier took something out of your bag that was not a Costco item and could not be used to identify the bags owner, it might be reasonable to bring up with customer service or management.

Since you suffered no loss as a result of the cashier's actions, there is no reasonable LEGAL action warranted.

ajkroy

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/bag-search-costco-618227.html

Some bag searches are acceptable, in some circumstances moreso than others.

However, since the cashier took something out of your bag that was not a Costco item and could not be used to identify the bags owner, it might be reasonable to bring up with customer service or management.

Since you suffered no loss as a result of the cashier's actions, there is no reasonable LEGAL action warranted.
That thread has been deleted, but based solely on what you wrote here...why can't the OP go to the police? That's what I would do if someone took something from my purse. :confused:

quincy

That thread has been deleted, but based solely on what you wrote here...why can't the OP go to the police? That's what I would do if someone took something from my purse. :confused:
FlyingRon stated why the search was allowed. It is part of the members "privileges and conditions" agreement: "Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse."

http://www.costco/member-privileges-conditions.html

I agree with not2cleverRed that there really does not seem to be anything to report to the police, if nothing was taken.

justalayman

They cannot search your bag without either permission or in a detention where you are accused of shoplifting. When you join apparently you do give permission so until you revoke it, and you can any time you choose, they can inspect your bags, Costco or private (at least I believe it is stated as such)

That means if they ask or begin inspecting you can tell them no or to stop. Forcing a search without the shoplifting issue as the basis for the search they would be committing a criminal act.

If you refused to allow them to search and without reason to suspect you shoplifted they could cancel your membership but nothing more.

I will say if anybody decided they would start checking my bags without first approaching me and letting me know their intent, they may get a broken arm out of the deal. Even with the right, i have no idea if they were pulling a Costco check or attempting to steal from me.

sebbyclaude

But it says only at the entrance and exit, not in the lane itself. And if it makes a difference, I am not a Costco member. My mom is and I was with her to help her lift heavy items.

ajkroy

FlyingRon stated why the search was allowed. It is part of the members "privileges and conditions" agreement: "Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse."

http://www.costco/member-privileges-conditions.html

I agree with not2cleverRed that there really does not seem to be anything to report to the police, if nothing was taken.
But not2cleverRed indicated that something was taken from the shopper's bag; that it didn't seem to identify the shopper is immaterial. If someone took makeup from my purse, for example, I would still consider it theft and call the police.

quincy

But it says only at the entrance and exit, not in the lane itself. And if it makes a difference, I am not a Costco member. My mom is and I was with her to help her lift heavy items.
The terms say "entering or leaving," not entrance or exit. It's a slight difference but it could be argued that you are "leaving" the warehouse when you are in the checkout lane. All merchandise is apparently also checked before exiting to make sure the merchandise in the bags matches the merchandise charged on the receipt.

Was something actually taken from your personal bag, sebbyclaude, or was something removed from your bag so the bagger could inspect it to see if it was Costco merchandise?

I think the terms and conditions of membership will work to protect Costco in the described situation (but these are not terms and conditions I would agree to, despite the apparent cost savings you can realize when shopping there).

sebbyclaude

Something was taken out and looked over for several moments, despite having a sticker on it that said it should only be sold at Target.

quincy

Something was taken out and looked over for several moments, despite having a sticker on it that said it should only be sold at Target.
That appears to me to be allowable under the terms agreed to with Costco membership.

It sounds as if the bagger looked in the bag and pulled out an item for closer inspection. The closer inspection might have been warranted because shoplifters are known to do tricky things like putting false stickers on items.

I assume the bagger returned the Target item to your bag, right, instead of pocketing it for himself?

CdwJava

If you do not like the intrusion, shop elsewhere.

If nothing was taken from you, then the police are not at all likely to get involved and no criminal charges are going to be pending.

I enjoy the savings at Costco and am willing to put up with the intrusion from time to time. When/if I get to crotchity to enjoy saving a few bucks, I'll stop shopping there. Until then, take a gander in my bags if you wish ... and I never have a reason to bring a personal bag, backpack, or other item into the store so I don't have to worry about those being checked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">