• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail Bond, how it works?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Catnip 0_o

If I pay 10% of the bail bond and am freed from jail, and then appear to all of my court dates, I am given the 10% that I paid for the bond back correct?
Also even if I am convicted of the crime, will I still be released since I attended all of the court dates? Or will I have to pay another fee since convicted and cannot be freed until I pay it?

Mass_Shyster

You don't get the 10% back. If you want the bail returned, you must pay the whole thing yourself. The bail bondsmen charge you 10% as a fee. They guarantee the rest to the court, so if you skip, they must pay. It's similar to a premium for an insurance policy. You don't get a refund if you aren't in an accident.

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/warrant-disorderly-person-failed-appear-court-how-bond-works-588232.html

dave33

If I pay 10% of the bail bond and am freed from jail, and then appear to all of my court dates, I am given the 10% that I paid for the bond back correct?
Also even if I am convicted of the crime, will I still be released since I attended all of the court dates? Or will I have to pay another fee since convicted and cannot be freed until I pay it?
If you are given the option to pay 10% that is called surety. If your bail is 5,000 with surety, you pay 500 and get released. This $ will technically get returned if you attend all of your court hearings. If you are convicted than the 10% will go towards court costs and any restitution before any $ gets returned to you.

If a bail bondsman gets involved no $ ever gets returned to you or goes towards your costs.

Catnip 0_o

My bond is listed at $2500.

So as long as I pay the $250, and go to all of my court hearings, than I won't have to pay the other $2250?

Also should my warrant be removed off my record?

Last edited:

dave33

My bond is listed at $2500.

So as long as I pay the $250, and go to all of my court hearings, than I won't have to pay the other $2250?

Also should my warrant be removed off my record?
You are confused about something. If you have a warrant than a new bond will be set.

I don't know what you mean by "listed".

FlyingRon

The state would be useful.

If the 10% was paid to a bondsman, the posts above is correct. It's a fee. You never get it back. You may be liable for more.

In some states, like Kentucky, the court may let you pay 10% down on your bond and get out (or in some states, they'll even let you have an unsecured bond). In this case you may be able to get what you paid back.

Details, my man, details.

Catnip 0_o

I got the ticket (which turned into a warrant) in the city of Eastpointe Michigan 38th District Court.

The Ticket states this:
SUPPLEMENTAL SENTENCING $ 85.00 RGS
BLD2 $ 10.00 RGS
WARRANT FEE $ 75.00 RGS
MISCELLANEOUS ACTION ALL COUNTS RGS
CASH/SURETY/10% CASH RGS
BOND SET $ 2500.00 091511 RGS

Now is it possible to go into the District Court and turn myself in and pay the 10% right there and then be given my court hearing dates or would I have to go to jail first and then get bailed out? This whole warrant has been a big misunderstanding and id rather not go into detail as to why but I don't want to have going to jail on my record. So if I turn in myself and pay the 10% of the $2500, should I be okay, as long as I make all my court appearances?

I know some of you may say you won't know until you go in and find out but I'd rather not get arrested.. especially if I have the 10% to pay right there.

Last edited:
I got the ticket (which turned into a warrant) in the city of Eastpointe Michigan 38th District Court.

Now is it possible to go into the District Court and turn myself in and pay the 10% right there and then be given my court hearing dates or would I have to go to jail first and then get bailed out? This whole warrant has been a big misunderstanding and id rather not go into detail as to why but I don't want to have going to jail on my record. So if I turn in myself and pay the 10% of the $2500, should I be okay, as long as I make all my court appearances?

I know some of you may say you won't know until you go in and find out but I'd rather not get arrested.. especially if I have the 10% to pay right there.

No, you or someone will have to pay the $2500 up front. The 10% is what a bail bondsman will take from you (non-refundable) to post your $2500 bail. With other charges (surprise!) you will likely pay more than $250 to him.

Again, you need $2500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">