• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail bondman in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ayishah

I have a relative in NY interested in being a bail bondman. I'd like to know under what law can a bail bondsman carry a firearm across state lines to apprehend an offender on bail that has skipped or jumped bond? I don't think they can but can't find any NY laws to confirm or deny it. Can you help?

Thanks.

xylene

carrying a firearm in NY is extremely difficult.

Being a bail bondsman is not an automatic pass to carry a firearm in NY or anywhere else.

Many bail agents do not carry firearms for this very reason

ayishah

Bail Bondman NY

I hear that it is very difficult in NY with all the regulations and red tape. But do you know if there is a federal law that authorizes bail bondsmen to cross state lines to retrieve a bail jumper? I just don't know where to start to look for the info.

Thanks

justalayman

bail bondsman would not be covered under any federal law, if there was one.

the bondsman simply has to be aware of what states have reciprocal acceptance of a neighboring states CCP and if necessary, apply for a CCP in any state they would have regular business in that would need their own states CCP.

btw: Dog don't carry no guns

(I am betting he would if he wasn't a felon and could carry one)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have never run into a bail bondsman in NY who carried a gun, and I've stopped plenty of them. I doubt that the profession carries any added weight when applying for a carry permit.

And forget about crossing state lines.

xylene

I hear that it is very difficult in NY with all the regulations and red tape. But do you know if there is a federal law that authorizes bail bondsmen to cross state lines to retrieve a bail jumper? I just don't know where to start to look for the info.

Thanks
Bail bondsmen can cross state lines.

There ability to carry guns is a state matter.

Bail bondsmen can't just get a gun and carry it nationwide.

Even in states that allow the persoanl carriage of a gun, it does not mean you can carry that gun in the course of a criminal arrest...

DON'T learn from 'Dog' - it is a television show that incorporates fictional story telling.

The true way to learn this trade is to do an apprenticeship with an existing bailbindsman - just like being a PI.

You can't just 'become' a bail agent really.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">