• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bail forfeiture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhoeflein

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I know someone that is in jail right now for bail forfeiture. Can someone tell me what that means in simple terms? To my understanding it is when someone pays bail and then you don't ever go to your court date. Does anyone know about jailtime that might be served due to this charge?

n_and

After a judicial declaration of forfeiture is entered, the court
may proceed with the trial required by Article 22.14. The court may exonerate the defendant and his sureties, if any, from liability on the forfeiture, remit the amount of the forfeiture, or
set aside the forfeiture only as expressly provided by this
chapter. The court may approve any proposed settlement of the
liability on the forfeiture that is agreed to by the state and by
the defendant or the defendant's sureties, if any.

To my understanding it is when someone pays bail and then you don't ever go to your court date. about jailtime that
Your understanding is right.

J

jhoeflein

ahhh ok thank you for the reply. Do you know about the jail time one would receive for that or probation? Does it depend on how long it's been since this happened etc?

I forgot to add why supposedly he was arrested to begin with, other than bail forfeiture, 14 years ago he wrote a total of 4 checks that came back as insuffient funds aka hot checks. He had paid all the fees etc, but apparently the places the checks were written to had already filed on him. Im not sure if that was tied into the forfeiture but it is in the same time frame I believe.

I called the county jail today and they said he was charged with a level 1(?) felony and the judge is in no hurry to see him. I am wondering if because of the bail forfeiture they will keep him in jail instead of letting him out on bail with the risk of him not showing up for court again.

Last edited:

Son of Slam

jhoeflein said:
the judge is in no hurry to see him. I am wondering if because of the bail forfeiture they will keep him in jail instead of letting him out on bail with the risk of him not showing up for court again.

In other words, when the judge decides to see him, he knows where he will be this time.

J

jhoeflein

yeah i figured that was what would happen. thanks everyone for the help :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">