• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is bail money non-refundable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divamissx

What is the name of your state? Florida

I paid $1000 to bail my husband out of jail in July 2003. Since then, he has appeared for his court date, been sentenced, and is currently incarcerated and will be for 3 years. I have been under the assumption (and been told) that after his court appearance, I can receive that money back. I haven't been able to find anyone at the jail, the sheriff's office, or the state attorney's office who can give me any information. I was told by my husband's court-appointed attorney to contact the bail bondsman. I did that and they said that the $1000 was their fee and I will not receive any of the money back. I also had given them an additional $500 check that they cashed, which was explained to me that it was their fee. What am I entitled to? Do I just lose all that money?

Thanks,

Stacey

Son of Slam

divamissx said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I paid $1000 to bail my husband out of jail in July 2003. Since then, he has appeared for his court date, been sentenced, and is currently incarcerated and will be for 3 years. I have been under the assumption (and been told) that after his court appearance, I can receive that money back. I haven't been able to find anyone at the jail, the sheriff's office, or the state attorney's office who can give me any information. I was told by my husband's court-appointed attorney to contact the bail bondsman. I did that and they said that the $1000 was their fee and I will not receive any of the money back. I also had given them an additional $500 check that they cashed, which was explained to me that it was their fee. What am I entitled to? Do I just lose all that money?

Thanks,

Stacey

Bail money is refundable if the bailee appears in court. That is what it is all about. If you went to a bail bondsman, he paid the bail, not you. When your husband appeared in court the bondsman got the bail back, not you. Next time do not be so stupid, let your ex-husband stay in jail.

P

PrefersPrivacy

You say you paid $1000, but you do not say to whom you paid it. You also do not say what the total bail amount was. If you paid a bondsman $1000, but the total was $25,000, then you are probably just confused.

If the total was $1000, and you paid $1000 (plus?), then I'm left to wonder why you needed a bail bondsman. Find all the paperwork you can, figure these things out, and maybe someone can help.

divamissx

PrefersPrivacy said:
You say you paid $1000, but you do not say to whom you paid it. You also do not say what the total bail amount was. If you paid a bondsman $1000, but the total was $25,000, then you are probably just confused.

If the total was $1000, and you paid $1000 (plus?), then I'm left to wonder why you needed a bail bondsman. Find all the paperwork you can, figure these things out, and maybe someone can help.
When I called the jail to ask about the bail issue, I was told that I have to go thru a bondsman. They would not allow me to post it directly. I was also told that the bond was $10,000 and the bail amount would be $1,000.

The bondsman needed the $1,000 plus 3 separate $500 checks, plus another $5,000 check in the event my husband did not show up for court. The bondsman told me later that the 3 $500 checks were for their travel and other expenses. They cashed one of them but did not cash the other two at my request.

I called the bondsman last week and was told that the $1,000 was their fee and they didn't seem to know anything about the other $500 check that was cashed.

I am also taking advice from this board and divorcing my husband before he causes me any more financial or emotional problems. He will be incarcerated for 3 years, which is long enough for me to lose connection with him altogether.

Stacey

Son of Slam

divamissx said:
I am also taking advice from this board and divorcing my husband before he causes me any more financial or emotional problems.

Now that you will have a little extra money, I have a nice piece of property in Florida for sale.

divamissx

Son of Slam said:
Now that you will have a little extra money, I have a nice piece of property in Florida for sale.
There are plenty of people in the world that get off at laughing at - and taking advantage of others who don't necessarily make the "right" decisions at the "right" time. People learn their lessons in their own time.

I would think that people post here to get advice when they're having a crisis situation, and they don't really need to be ridiculed or made to feel bad because other people think they made a wrong decision.

There's nothing wrong with having an extreme opinion, I have plenty of them... but it may be a good idea to try and give people real solid legal advice before you slam them with insults.

I'm sure my advice won't change a thing.

sounds like the bailbondsman ripped you off for that $500 in travel expenses... so if you haven't gotten the other checks back... PUT A STOP PAYMENT ON THEM NOW. Now that you've made the right decision to let this loser sit in jail... you may just want to chalk the $500 up to a learning experience and walk away.

divamissx

Thank you for the advice and opinion Crazyhorse. I may call them once more to see what I can accomplish. I have a great career that gives me the ability to make plenty of money so I'll recover financially.

M

mbaker3

Just for kicks, I'd file official complaints with the state attorney general's office (consumer complaint form) and with the BBB (better business bureau). At the very least you will be accessing services that you have already paid for through your taxes and the "businessperson" in question will have someone with some clout looking at their "business" practices.

You are correct, there are slimy folks out there taking advantage of people in crisis situations. Such may not be the case here, and this business may be operating within their rights, however it does sound as though they may be trying to get away with that which they are not entitled to get away.

State offices are there to serve you because you pay their salaries. Use their services, their fees have already been paid and sometimes they can strike fear in the hearts of folks doing wrong under the guise of "business".

Something else that can bring you satisfaction is to sue in small claims court and proceed pro se (get a book about being your own lawyer in simple, low-cost matters. At hthe very least you will be serving notice to this bondsman that you will not be mistreated without repercussions. It's fun too.

Then again, I don't know much and do not work in this field.

Good Luck.

While I would definitely recommend my colleague's advice under most circumstances... this one seems a bit different to me. You're going to want to weigh the potential for getting your money back against the idea that you are going to be dragging this whole episode out even longer... and you may waver in your convictions.

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">