• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bail Paperwork Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yupthisguy

If an arrestee does not sign bail paperwork, but still is released on bail is the bail contract/agreement still enforceable? I am in the state of California.

dave33

I would say yes. You can of course fight the revocation on the basis that no signature exists.
You realize of course you may very well be doing this from jail because your bail will get violated
if you violate the terms with or w/out a signature. goodluck.

yupthisguy

I signed the bail agreement. I am the indemnitor. The guy did not show up for court, and I am wondering if the agreement is even valid.

justalayman

I signed the bail agreement. I am the indemnitor. The guy did not show up for court, and I am wondering if the agreement is even valid.
why would a contract you signed with the bondsman or court (whichever it is in your area) not be valid because the suspect did not sign it? The suspect is not liable because they did not sign it but since you did, you are.

CdwJava

So, you want to know if you are on the hook for your friend or family member's absconding?

Probably, yes.

I can ask one of our local bondsmen, but as I understand it if you indemnified the defendant then YOU are held responsible to see that he gets to his hearings and you, alone, might be held financially liable. It does not appear that the defendant has to agree to diddly unless he is posting some of the collateral or the bondsman requires something from him.

Time to start looking for this guy.

justalayman

So, you want to know if you are on the hook for your friend or family member's absconding?

Probably, yes.

I can ask one of our local bondsmen, but as I understand it if you indemnified the defendant then YOU are held responsible to see that he gets to his hearings and you, alone, might be held financially liable.

Time to start looking for this guy.
while I normally do not advocate watching television shows to figure out how things in the court system work, in this case a few episodes of Dog, bounty hunter might be appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">