• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bailed out friend...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drewoops

What is the name of your state? California

I'm sure this question has been posted far to many times... What can you do if you bailed someone out of jail and you have since learned that trusting said person was probably a bad idea (i.e. you no longer want to take responsibility for said person)?

I bailed my "friend" out of jail in Las Vegas. She did show to court for her hearing and pleaded not-guilty. I'm not so concerned about the money I've put out (I don't want to walk away from it but it's not like it'll kill me) but more so what I could be held responsible for in the future. If I now understand correctly, I'm responsible for her showing up until the case is closed. This is the first time I ever bailed someone out of jail and I freely admit I got caught up in the moment of what was going on. I'm not trying to use ignorance as a defense. I just want to know what, if anything, I can do to protect myself at this point.

seniorjudge

Q: What can you do if you bailed someone out of jail and you have since learned that trusting said person was probably a bad idea (i.e. you no longer want to take responsibility for said person)?

A: Carry her to the jail from whence you bailed her.

CdwJava

Contact the court and find out how you can revoke your bail - if it is possible in NV. If you posted a bond with a bondsman, then you may also be liable for collateral up to the full amount of the bail (you would have to put up about 10% up front in that case).

Unless you signed something saying YOU are responsible, you cannot be held criminally liable for this person's failure to appear, but you could be out the bail and collateral if they fail to show.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">