• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being harrassed and threatened

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bxq

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Are there any laws in NJ if someone is stalking and threatening me? The person is a minor but will be 18 soon. He has threatened me with a knife a few times when I told him to leave me alone and to stay away from me. If I walk to the store and this person passes me on the street on his bike he'll go around the block to pass me again, he has done this several times and I feel he circles the block again to scare me but I can't prove it. I caught him going through the garbage can a few times, which I know is legal but I feel he might be looking for personal information. He has also tried peeking into my bedroom window.

I have reported it to the police and they have talked to the person bothering me and his parents once but the person comes right back. The police say since he is a minor he will have to be charged as such, since there isn't any dating type relationship between the person and me I can't get a protection order and also since the home I live in isn't in my name I don't have too many rights if he's allowed by the home or not. The home belongs to my elderly father who I am caring for. My father is mentally ill and also drinks alcohol everyday so isn't really aware of what's happening and hasn't been thinking too clearly the last few years. When the police talked to my father my father said he doesn't care who stays around the house.

I think I'm out of luck and there's nothing can I do. If there isn't any laws to have the person stay away from me what are my rights to protect myself if the person threatens physical harm?

sandyclaus

From what you say, he is following you and stalking, but I don't see any actual threats to your person or safety.

Seek a restraining order against this person.

bxq

he has pulled out a knife twice when I told him to leave me alone and said if I got too close and didn't shut up he would use it if he had to. I understand if the knife isn't actually held against me it can be looked at as not a threat but it was still enough to scare me.

In NJ a restraining order can only be granted if I dated or have a relationship with the person. I only know this person because he came to my garage sale I had last Summer and since then he's kept coming around (yes, this has been going on since last Summer!) He's a stranger.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">