• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being lied to by TXDPS/DL suspended for no reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. Southern

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Mexico.

March of 2008 I got a speeding ticket near Lubbock, Texas. Since I live in New Mexico, I just mailed the payment into them by a money order. I no longer have the receipt to it anymore. Later on towards the end of 2008, I got another ticket in Texas and mailed that payment in, too. Neither courts ever mailed me any form of receipt back. So, to ensure they got there payments and to make sure any additional problems I've had since then were completely taken care of, I got in touch with the Texas Department of Public Safety this April and asked them to make sure that I had no outstanding warrants or citations that were not taken care of. They sent me a e-mail (in which I still have on hard copy) back telling me that Texas has no matches on anything matching my name or date of birth.
August, 28th 2009, I got a letter in the mail saying that my Driver License is going to be suspended October 28th, 2009 if I do not take care of the ticket that I got last march in 2008! Furthermore, that a warrant has been issued for my arrest and has been since June of 2008 I didn't even know about it.
They have charged me for not paying the ticket and failure to appear in court ($1153.10) and turned it over to a virtul collector (MVBA; paymvba.com). The collection agency has set me up on payment plans but until I pay the payment in full (which will not be in October or even close) they will NOT notify the New Mexico MVD that I am trying to take care of my charges. Therefore, come October, my DL will still be suspended.
I feel like the TXDPS should be held liable, because they just ran my name not to long ago and if I would had known I could had been paying on this a long time ago. I also have been risking my freedom, and now will be losing my DL (and more than likely my job, considering I have to drive a company vehicle).
The NM MVD will not take money order receipts as proof.

What can I do to avoid my DL being suspended and get the collection agency to show NM MVD some kind of proof?

I feel like I was misled and lied to by the TXDPS:
Is there anything that could be done about them telling me I have a clean record in Texas and come to find out I've had warrants, owe a lot of money, about to lose my DL, and maybe my job, because of them?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">