• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being questioned by the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nosraf

What is the name of your state?

MISSOURI. I have visited this site on a couple of other occasions and have gotten some pretty good advice. Now to the question:

My son-in-law to be (Gary), is not the sharpest tool in the shed. On Friday Sept. 16th. at about 10:30 in the evening, he went to the 7-11 that is maybe at the very most 1 block from his house. He pulled up on the parking lot, put the car in park, got out and also on the lot was some type of SUV. He noticed that the man in the SUV was pulling a ski mask over his face, and he comments to this person, "your crazy if you plan on robbing this place their are servalance cameras every where." The guy cussed at him but did not get out of his SUV. Gary went into the store got whatever he was buying. When he exited the store the SUV was gone. However we believe that he had watched hom leave and followed him to his house where his car ended up with a shattered window. He called the police and they responded, took a report and left. This morning the police came back to his home and asked him if the guy in the SUV was black, and he told them that he was. The policeman asked if he could come with him to the police station for a more detailed account of the 7-11 incident. He went with the policeman to the station, gave his statement. But then the policeman said since he had him their he wanted to ask him about a home that was robbed on Sept 4. Gary said "What are you talking about". He has been out of work due to a fairly serious injury which occured on his job. The policeman asked him how was he paying his bills. Gary told the police that my parents were helping him and my daughter with their bills, and that they were also recieving some food coupon assistance. Gary tried to ask him what house he was talking about, where, time the robbery happened. Detective would not answer back. The detective asked if the police could come search the house. Gary said yes but not while his and my daughter young children were there. Gary finally got some piece of a brain and told the detective that he was not answering any other questions unless he had a lawyer present and also stated that he wanted to leave and that they had to let him leave if they were not going to charge him with anything. The detective indeed let him leave but with a precieved threat the he would find a motive and have him arrested. Gave him a card and said call me if you want to talk.

The day in question about the house robbery, I know exactly where he was part of that day along with about 20 other people. From about 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. he was at my neices birthday party on that day. That accounts for 4 hours of that day. From their I believe he and my daughter had dinner with my parents. I and about 20 others can say we know were he was in that time span. The other 20 hrs. I just donot know. I do not believe that he robbed someones house. I do not think he is smart enough to do so. He is asking me if he should talk with the detective again, I said I donot think he should, but maybe talk to his supperior. Do not know how to procede from here. He did not rob someones home and basically was taken to the police station under the pretense of helping them with the 7-11 incedent. Why he even said something to the guy in the SUV at 7-11 is beyond me, however he did, perhaps he may have saved the guys life working thier. Apparently 7-11 has the incedent on video tape. Gary knows the clerk in the store. because they live so close to the 7-11. Gary goes their quite often.

I said not to let the police into their home unless they have a search warrant and not to talk to the detective again, but to talk to his supperior, but I donot know if he should even do that. Their is no way he could afford an attorney especially for something he hasn't done. But on the other hand if he does not say something I am sure the police will continue to hassle him, when ever they see him out somewhere. They live in a small community.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this issue. Like I said he is not the sharpest took in the shed. Had he kept his mouth shut to the guy in the SUV. I donot believe I would be trying to find some adivice about this situation. He could have quite possabily saved the store clerks life, and turns into the police questioning him about a home robber.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sorry that this is so long.

Thank you,
Mike with the not so sharp son-in-law to be.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nosraf said:
What is the name of your state?

MISSOURI. I have visited this site on a couple of other occasions and have gotten some pretty good advice. Now to the question:

My son-in-law to be (Gary), is not the sharpest tool in the shed. On Friday Sept. 16th. at about 10:30 in the evening, he went to the 7-11 that is maybe at the very most 1 block from his house. He pulled up on the parking lot, put the car in park, got out and also on the lot was some type of SUV. He noticed that the man in the SUV was pulling a ski mask over his face, and he comments to this person, "your crazy if you plan on robbing this place their are servalance cameras every where." The guy cussed at him but did not get out of his SUV. Gary went into the store got whatever he was buying. When he exited the store the SUV was gone. However we believe that he had watched hom leave and followed him to his house where his car ended up with a shattered window. He called the police and they responded, took a report and left. This morning the police came back to his home and asked him if the guy in the SUV was black, and he told them that he was. The policeman asked if he could come with him to the police station for a more detailed account of the 7-11 incident. He went with the policeman to the station, gave his statement. But then the policeman said since he had him their he wanted to ask him about a home that was robbed on Sept 4. Gary said "What are you talking about". He has been out of work due to a fairly serious injury which occured on his job. The policeman asked him how was he paying his bills. Gary told the police that my parents were helping him and my daughter with their bills, and that they were also recieving some food coupon assistance. Gary tried to ask him what house he was talking about, where, time the robbery happened. Detective would not answer back. The detective asked if the police could come search the house. Gary said yes but not while his and my daughter young children were there. Gary finally got some piece of a brain and told the detective that he was not answering any other questions unless he had a lawyer present and also stated that he wanted to leave and that they had to let him leave if they were not going to charge him with anything. The detective indeed let him leave but with a precieved threat the he would find a motive and have him arrested. Gave him a card and said call me if you want to talk.

The day in question about the house robbery, I know exactly where he was part of that day along with about 20 other people. From about 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. he was at my neices birthday party on that day. That accounts for 4 hours of that day. From their I believe he and my daughter had dinner with my parents. I and about 20 others can say we know were he was in that time span. The other 20 hrs. I just donot know. I do not believe that he robbed someones house. I do not think he is smart enough to do so. He is asking me if he should talk with the detective again, I said I donot think he should, but maybe talk to his supperior. Do not know how to procede from here. He did not rob someones home and basically was taken to the police station under the pretense of helping them with the 7-11 incedent. Why he even said something to the guy in the SUV at 7-11 is beyond me, however he did, perhaps he may have saved the guys life working thier. Apparently 7-11 has the incedent on video tape. Gary knows the clerk in the store. because they live so close to the 7-11. Gary goes their quite often.

I said not to let the police into their home unless they have a search warrant and not to talk to the detective again, but to talk to his supperior, but I donot know if he should even do that. Their is no way he could afford an attorney especially for something he hasn't done. But on the other hand if he does not say something I am sure the police will continue to hassle him, when ever they see him out somewhere. They live in a small community.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this issue. Like I said he is not the sharpest took in the shed. Had he kept his mouth shut to the guy in the SUV. I donot believe I would be trying to find some adivice about this situation. He could have quite possabily saved the store clerks life, and turns into the police questioning him about a home robber.

PLEASE ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sorry that this is so long.

Thank you,
Mike with the not so sharp son-in-law to be.

My response:

Who, in this story, lives in a trailer?

Missouri people are some of the funniest people in this country! Without you folks, I'd have to depend on the Georgians that come to this site! They're a close "second."

And you're allowing your daughter to marry this Dufus?

IAAL

chris86

Isn't it entirely possible that the Georgian in question was operating his PC while suffering from a mild concussion? Quite possibly, he has lost 9 of his fingers in a horrible farming accident, and is having to rely on the remaining digit... Give him a break!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">