• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishrover02863

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I currently may be subjected to a bench warrant. I was stopped and cited in 12/05 for driving a motor vehicle with a suspended registration (car was registered in RI). Shortly thereafter I moved to California (move was already planned prior to the pullover). I have been unable to contact anyone in the Court to advise that I could not attend arraignment as financially I could not afford the fare to return and I know full well I do not have the monies to pay any fines. Right now I need to suck up my pride and find a way back to MA to answer the charge and likely face time in the house of correction. I made contacts with attorneys to try to take on the case but frankly everyone wanted $$ before they'd handle it so now I have to go back pro se.

Here are my questions:

• Is it prudent to contact the Court or the County DA's office if I do not have counsel to arrange surrender upon my return or should I do that here in California, waive extradition, and be returned to MA?
  • If I physically return to MA is it best to go immediately to the nearest police station and turn myself in there or just go directly to the court house in the jurisdiction?
  • I likely am facing at least 10-60 days but if I show the court I financially cannot pay any fines can they sentence me to a longer term including any community service?

As I said I simply want to close this book, face the piper, and turn myself over. Please any advice is appreciated at this time of personal pain.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

irishrover02863 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I currently may be subjected to a bench warrant. I was stopped and cited in 12/05 for driving a motor vehicle with a suspended registration (car was registered in RI). Shortly thereafter I moved to California (move was already planned prior to the pullover). I have been unable to contact anyone in the Court to advise that I could not attend arraignment as financially I could not afford the fare to return and I know full well I do not have the monies to pay any fines. Right now I need to suck up my pride and find a way back to MA to answer the charge and likely face time in the house of correction. I made contacts with attorneys to try to take on the case but frankly everyone wanted $$ before they'd handle it so now I have to go back pro se.

Here are my questions:

• Is it prudent to contact the Court or the County DA's office if I do not have counsel to arrange surrender upon my return or should I do that here in California, waive extradition, and be returned to MA?
  • If I physically return to MA is it best to go immediately to the nearest police station and turn myself in there or just go directly to the court house in the jurisdiction?
  • I likely am facing at least 10-60 days but if I show the court I financially cannot pay any fines can they sentence me to a longer term including any community service?

As I said I simply want to close this book, face the piper, and turn myself over. Please any advice is appreciated at this time of personal pain.What is the name of your state?

Surrender to the cops in the place where you committed the crime.

garrula lingua

Irish,
A suspended registration ? (not a susp. driver's license ?)

In CA that's a fix-it ticket.

Call the local court in that area. Ask if the ticket is in warrant status, or whether it was resolved, as it was a 'fix-it'ticket.
If the ticket is in 'failure to appear' status, ask if you can mail in the amount due to pay for the fine and penalties.

You should be able to do this by mail. Try that before you fly back.

(if you don't get a pleasant clerk when you call, try calling back later - maybe you'll reach someone more sympathetic)
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">