• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rrevis

What is the name of your state? NC
I had a bench warrant placed for me for child support. I have paid in full with a credit now.
I live out of state and cannot go to be in front of judge. Is there anyway to have an attorney be in front of judge for me since I have fixed the issue?
thank you

garrula lingua

Well, the fact that you have since paid up, doesn't mean you aren't guilty of the failure to support at the time the charge was filed.
The Prosecutor may, or may not, proceed with the case.
You can call the Prosecutor's office to find out if they will dismiss ...

In most states, an attorney can appear for you on a misdemeanor, but not on a felony.
On some charges (such as DV), the offender must appear. Judges have the discretion to demand personal appearances, even for continuances or other pre-trial matters.

Call the court; speak with the court clerk; ask if you have to appear or whether that particular Judge will allow an attorney to appear on your behalf.
If an attorney is allowed without your appearance, call that county's Bar Association and ask for referral(s) to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">