• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bench warrant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdukes

I live in Virginia but I had court in Georgia
I couldn't make it because money was tight. I called my public defender and he said he'd ask for a continuance. It was a misdemeanor and my first offensive. The lawyer never called back and told me but my brother says I have a bench warrant out on me. I'm wondering what to do now because I'm unemployed and I had a job interview for a security position. Will it show up if I go for the job?
Also school starts soon and I have no bail money. This is really messing with my life. Is there anyway to transfer the case or anything.
Also what happens now?

Antigone*

I live in Virginia but I had court in Georgia
I couldn't make it because money was tight. I called my public defender and he said he'd ask for a continuance. It was a misdemeanor and my first offensive. The lawyer never called back and told me but my brother says I have a bench warrant out on me. I'm wondering what to do now because I'm unemployed and I had a job interview for a security position. Will it show up if I go for the job?
Also school starts soon and I have no bail money. This is really messing with my life. Is there anyway to transfer the case or anything.
Also what happens now?
A Virginia court will not hear a Georgia case. Sorry this is such an inconvenicence for you but you'll just have to beg, borrow, or steal to get there.

...Wait...don't steal, beg & borrow only:cool:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How does your brother know you have a warrant???

Did you call your attorney? Don't wait for him to call you.

sdukes

How does your brother know you have a warrant???

Did you call your attorney? Don't wait for him to call you.
My brother and I were arrested together so he was in court today.
I didn't call home because he said he would call me. I suppose I shouldn't have took his word. So I will call him in the a.m.

I don't have any thoughts on how to ignore it. Youre not going to get it moved or talk it away. You're basically going to live with it or deal with it. Since you cant afford an attorney, I would start thinking of ways to this.

I think would call the court and confirm the warrant and find out their local policy. Some courts allow you to appear in a walk in calendar. Some require you to surrender to the jail on the warrant. This info might be on their website in the criminal section or local rules. If its that simply, I would make plans to handle it in that manner.

The PD is going to go along with the local rule so I wouldnt look for extra effort on their part.

If they required me to surrender and I preferred to attempt to avoid jail, I would probably look into something like a notice of motion and motion to recall warrant and file it to get myself a court date without surrendering on the warrant and explain to the judge a situation. Sometimes the judge remands anyway, but at least it would be worth a shot. To do this I would ask the clerk when/what time their misc call calendar or criminal motion calendar (lower div) and I would serve the da and mail in my motion and appear on the date I set.

I think the first step is getting info so you arent guessing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">