• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench warrant issued due to county clerical error...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathom791

Oklahoma- My friend and I were driving and got pulled over and searched. My friend was charged with possession of paraphernalia, and two cds's (marijuana and a ritalin substitute). The police did not really do anything they were not supposed to. Then, a couple days after being bailed out setting a new court date for the 13th, my friend was arrested again because a bench warrant was issued due to a failure to appear. My friend had to spend another night in jail and her bond was raised from $7500 to $15000. (This is her first offense by the way.) She was bailed out again by the seemingly only legit bondsman in the town and went to court again. At court she showed the judge the slip of paper that stated her next court date was the 13th. The council eventually admitted that they had "written over the 13 with a 6" for the books. Now my friend has her court date pushed back to the 20 something, but now with the bondsman being out $15000, meaning my friend must now pay $1500 as well as the initial $750. I'm not sure but I believe court fines were also filed for the mistaken failure to appear.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. We've been speaking to a couple lawyers but it's really difficult to separate business from truth.

dmcc10880

So, at the hearing, the bail was "increased" to $15k or the $7,500 was revoked and a new bail was set at $15k. If that's the case, yes, she's out the $2250.

Why did she not request that bail be reinstated at $7500 and reduced as this was her first offense? Perhaps even ROR?

That's why it pays to have an attorney. She'll have until the 20-something'th to figure it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">