• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench Warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hayes9000

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I have searched many spots on the net for this answer but cannot find it....

I currently have 1 bench warrant for child support in the state of Michigan. That will increase soon to 3 bench warrants for "Michigan Driver Responsibilty Law" and the State of MI will issue one for a ticket not paid, all resulting from a suspended license from again, child support.

My questions are:

Is a bench warrant valid in all 50 states?

Does it depend on what the warrant is for?

And my arreages for child support are near $6,000, if that reaches a certain amount will it become a federal warrant?

And one more... if my license is suspended in Michigan, can I get a valid license in any other state?

It just seems I have no other option but to work in a different state to pay off child support...

I plan on moving to California.

Last edited:

garrula lingua

Come on !!!!

In every state, of which I'm familiar with child support laws, they ALL allow for the non-custodial parent (NCP) to contact the child support agency and make an arrangement to sign a stipulation 'without prejudice' as to the amount of the arrearage and MONTHLY payments to pay the arrearage with current support, based on your income.

Suspension of your driver's license for non-payment of child support was only meant to bring you non-payers out of the woodwork -- get your attention, have you agree to pay arrears and return your driving privilege.

If you elect to stay in the woodwork, like a worm, and not pay your child support, you don't deserve the privilege of driving.

BTW,without privilege means you would agree to a certain total of arrears and a monthly payment plan, but you reserve the right to contest the total due at a future hearing. So, how are you harmed by contacting child support services and resolving your case ????

The child support courts are geared to help people like you get their driver's licenses back and, hopefully, stop clogging criminal court with your neglected legal and moral responsibility.

Man/Woman up and be a parent.

If you don't agree with the arrearage, then set a hearing and contest it; don't run and hide.
PS: exercise visitation with that poor child.

hayes9000

Well, the full story is this:

I did show up to court, and a caseworker spoke with me before I saw the judge(there were several deadbeat parents there, me one of em). She told me if I see the judge, he will put me in jail for 4 months, and added that I need $1430 to remain out of jail. I had $400 in cash on me from my very last paycheck, since I contract with my truck for work, and can't work without a drivers license obviously. I offered the cash, she said NO, surprisingly enough, and said all of it or jail. I said I can get in a couple more weeks if you let me drive/work. She said nope, time to see the judge, and if you leave, we will issue a bench warrant.

Anyone in my shoes would have left... lemme see, stay here and go to jail in about 10 minutes or leave and have a chance to skirt jail for the time being and try to come up with $1430. I have been to jail before, prison too, and it sucks. I don't see how putting me in jail is going to get them their money, its just punishment, and a lame one at that. Whatever happened to going to jail for being a threat to society. You could argue I am a threat to my kids well being for them not getting paid, but the ex-wife is on welfare and has never once sought out after support from me.

She has 3 children, all mine, and works full time at Walmart. To my understanding, from what my lawyer told me, she receives, per month, $400 in food stamps, $150 in cash assistance, $265 in Section 8(rent), and medicaid for all 3 kids. Now I'm sure she is bright enough to realize if she takes my pathetic $465 a month in support, she will lose a lot of money. I have paid support several times, and it all goes straight to the state, she doesn't see a dime.

As for seeing the kids EVER, during my short stunt in prison, she found a new man...big surprise right, and convinced the kids, ages 6, 5, and 2 to tell the social workers that they don't want to see me. That's not a hard thing to make your children say at that age, but it stops me dead in my tracks.

Oh, I do agree with the arrearage, its $465 times that many months....

Here's the answer:

Step 1. Get Drivers License to Get Job
Step 2. Get Job to Get Money
Step 3. Get Money to Pay FOC
Step 4. Pay FOC to Get Drivers License
Step 5. Goto Step 1

Doesn't make any sense.

hayes9000 said:
I have been to jail before, prison too, and it sucks.
Check
hayes9000 said:
She has 3 children, all mine, and works full time at Walmart.
Check
hayes9000 said:
she receives, per month, $400 in food stamps, $150 in cash assistance, $265 in Section 8(rent), and medicaid for all 3 kids.
Check
hayes9000 said:
during my short stunt in prison, she found a new man...big surprise right.
Check

hayes9000 said:
Doesn't make any sense.
Actually, it makes perfect sense, based on what you've told us. Please see my signature.

garrula lingua

What Judge listens to a 6,5, and 2 year old re visitation ?
Courts encourage visitation with parents, even if it's supervised visitation at first.

If jail was imminent, then you had the right to a Public Defender.
Why wasn't the PD negotiating for you ?

How about contacting the PD unit that deals with cases of failure to support and ask them what IS the best deal you are likely to get in court

Maybe the caseworker was blowing smoke. The Judge is the last word - maybe the Judge would have disagreed with the caseworker...

The only solution I see is going back to court and resolving the support and get visitation with your kids.......ask the PD to help.
Still gotta Man Up for those kids, and get visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">