• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench warrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoveBugX0

i am in NJ I currently have 2 bench warrants in the same county but different towns. 1 is for failure to comply aka not paying a ticket and the other is for getting tickets and never actually going to court for a 39:3-40 not DUI/DWI. Both said I would have to pay the amount/post bail before they would drop the warrants. I do not have the money. The first has $395 left on the fine, and the 2nd wants $623 or "at least half of that" before they will recall the warrant. So since I don't have that I was wondering if I could turn myself into my towns police station and pay a lesser amount. Honestly I am not a criminal. I have had zero issues with law enforcement for years. I have on the other hand been in contact with them many times. I had court multiple times for child support, I had a crime against me and filed a report including meetings with detectives etc.... There was never any issues. I went to MVC to get my license renewed and bam I find out I have all this. I don't know how to proceed. I can not under any circumstance afford a lawyer. All of these issues are over 6/7 yrs old. This can not be avoided any longer. Is it possible to pay 10% of this total bail amount. I believe I would be considered an eligible defendant under N.J.S.A. 2A:162-15?

PLShelp128

I'm no lawyer but have found myself in a similar situation recently and my best advice to you is to hire a lawyer. I know you said you don't have money and that sucks (and I can relate). You're only option may be to turn yourself in and run the risk of being taken to jail at which point they will assign you a public defense attorney. Maybe some lawyers can help out, but if you turn yourself in and request a defense attorney at that point, maybe they wont automatically take you to jail??

My situation was different in that they discovered the bench warrant from an outside state while pulled over for a very minor traffic violation. Despite not being aware of it until that instant, the person I know was whisked away to jail and has been sitting there for a long time.

So, again, my non-lawyer legal advice is to call a few lawyers in your state (ideally in the counties that hold the warrants) and most will at least listen to your story and give you free legal advice (i.e. if I turn myself in, will I automatically go to jail or will they maybe assign a court-appointed lawyer and reschedule a court date). They won't look up your case or anything particular like that unless you pay, but they will give you legal advice. Importantly, any advice is going to be based on what you tell them (so I suggest 100% truth).

Good luck. And DON'T GET PULLED OVER!!!

quincy

I'm no lawyer but have found myself in a similar situation recently and my best advice to you is to hire a lawyer. I know you said you don't have money and that sucks (and I can relate). You're only option may be to turn yourself in and run the risk of being taken to jail at which point they will assign you a public defense attorney. Maybe some lawyers can help out, but if you turn yourself in and request a defense attorney at that point, maybe they wont automatically take you to jail??
I agree with you, PLShelp128. It is best to hire an attorney and have the attorney pave the way for turning yourself in on the warrants. You could otherwise find yourself sitting in jail and it could be awhile before you are able to contact a lawyer to help with your release.

You are also right (as you learned from your fiancé's experience) that it is always best to take care of warrants before you are arrested on another charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">