• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

betrayed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brooklyngrl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?texas
i would like some legal advice as to which direction to take on the matter of theft and fraud. my neighbor, whom i thought was my friend, has been entering my house without my permission, and has stolen a book of checks, my credit card, and some of my jewelry. long story short, between the checks and credit cards purchases, she has stolen $2700.00. the checks totaled $1200.00, all of which cleared, which left me hung out to dry. i immediately went to the bank and filled out fraud affidavit forms. my credit card company fraud's unit had also contacted me, do to unusual activity. after studying the signatures, i realized who this could be. i have confronted her with this and she has admitted to everything. her mother has offered to pay restitution to me, in exchange for me calling off the investigations. i have had a sit down with mom, and she has assured me she is not letting her off the hook, rather buying time so she can get her physatric help. her mom is wanting me to sign an agreement which states that by accepting restitution, i will not bring any civil or legal action against her daughter. can i go to the bank and credit card co and stop the investigation without devulging who it is? the fraud affidavids are clear, i am to assist the police if i knew who did this. can this come back on me? if i do decide to accept this option, should my acceptance have stipulations? i still do not know the depth of her burglery. what happens if there is still a surprise that she is not telling me about? please let me know where i stand legally and morally.
dazed and confused

JETX

"can i go to the bank and credit card co and stop the investigation without devulging who it is?"
*** Very likely, no. The other 'victims' in this situation (the bank and credit card company) have suffered a loss, the amount they 'eat' based on your claim of fraud. It is unlikely that they will simply drop the matter without imposing it back on you.

"the fraud affidavids are clear, i am to assist the police if i knew who did this. can this come back on me?"
*** If you now refuse to co-operate with their investigation(s) they will place the debt back on you. Simply this means that you will be obligated for the amounts, plus any accrued and FUTURE interest..... all based on some 'possible promise' to pay. Sorry, I would not agree to that.

"if i do decide to accept this option, should my acceptance have stipulations?"
*** Of course it should.... such as PAY 100% right NOW (so that you don't have the problem of chasing and pursuing collection on a promise to apy..... while incurring future interest charges!!).

"i still do not know the depth of her burglery. what happens if there is still a surprise that she is not telling me about?"
*** Then you are still hung out there.

"please let me know where i stand legally and morally."
*** Legally AND morally, as follows:
1) Obtain complete and total 'recovery' of your losses from the thief, mom, or whoever right NOW, cash in hand!! Then notify the bank and credit card company that you have 'resolved' the matter and accept the charges. Pay the debts. Matter is closed.
2) If you are not paid, in full NOW..... continue with the fraud complaints and get the charges removed and check amouns refunded. Let the legal and civil 'chips' fall where they may.

Bottom line.... if you do not receive 100% compensation for all the credit fraud and bad checks, do NOT drop your issues. It is simply too easy for someone to get you to drop your case (even with a written promissory note) and then simply forget or refuse to pay you later. And all the while, interest will continue to accrue..... saddling you with an ever increasing obligation and NO way to pay it!!

dazed and confused

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">