• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beware

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggurkha

What is the name of your state? CA
Yesterday, I recieved a letter in the mail, saying I won this sweepstakes thing I usually play on the internet gaming website. Enclosed was a check for $3,550.00 for part of the winnings. Now, this check had a major bank name on it, security waterspot, everything a real check looks like. I was leary of it so I went to that major bank and asked them to CHECK if this was a legal check, I did not go there to cash it but to check if it was real or not. I was with my mom who is sick and my husband. The manager said they would check it and to have a seat, we waited about 20 minutes and then I told her I had to take my husband back to work and she said to wait a little while longer. I told her I would go outside and have a cigarette, she said ok. When I got outside, the next thing I know is a cop telling me to put out my cig and sit down, i asked him what he said and he said to put out the cig. I said "why are you being sarcastic and treating us like a criminal, he said he doesn't like smoke so put it out. Well, next me and my husband are being detained for trying to cash a fraudalent check, and the harrassment that went along with this was beyond words. I tried to explain the WHOLE situation from getting it in the mail and CHECKING it with the bank ( NOT CASHING IT). He would not listen and kept insinuating I was trying to commit fraud. I asked him if we could go inside and talk instead of right in front of the bank where everyone has to pass to go into the bank, he would not take us in, but instead kept harrassing and talking loud in front of the public eye. This was very humiliating and being from the community, very very embarrassing. I asked him if I could get my mom in the bank, the answer was NO, asked him if I could get the envelope so he could see we got it in the mail, the answer again NO. I explained my Mom was sickly, he did not care. He kept on insinuating that I was committing fraud. I am a very humble person but not a stupid one. I told him I have the right to explain, but in his corrupted mind, I was guilty and would not listen to reason. Anyway, after 40 minutes of embarrassment and harrassment, the bank confirmed that I did not ask to cash it but to check it because it did not look right for me to recieve a check like this. my problem is why he decided to conduct this in view of everyone and harrass, embarrass and slander me, i feel just because he is the law we are still humans and no one should be subject to this kind of harrassment. What happened to " INNOCENT BEFORE PROVEN GUILTY". I know nothing would happen to him if I complain to his commanding officer, because you cannot win when it comes to fighting the law. So, everyone beware of these checks and beware of officers like that who in their minds, you are already guilty.

outonbail

Why didn't you simply call the bank to verify funds or check to see if it was a valid account? This way you wouldn't have had to drag your poor sick mother with you to the bank.

Something sounds fishy about this whole situation

rmet4nzkx

outonbail said:
Why didn't you simply call the bank to verify funds or check to see if it was a valid account? This way you wouldn't have had to drag your poor sick mother with you to the bank.

Something sounds fishy about this whole situation
Read OP's other posts.

ggurkha

the main reason I went to the bank was for my mom, she needed to get a printout from the teller, before we left our house I got the mail and thats when I saw the letter, so as my Mom got her printout, I asked my question to the cashier, nothing fishy about it. Just pure and innocent.

outonbail

ggurkha said:
the main reason I went to the bank was for my mom, she needed to get a printout from the teller, before we left our house I got the mail and thats when I saw the letter, so as my Mom got her printout, I asked my question to the cashier, nothing fishy about it. Just pure and innocent.
Nothing fishy about receiving a fraudulent check in the mail?

Nothing fishy about receiving it at the very moment you were going to take your sickly mom to the same bank?

Nothing fishy about her conducting her business from the parking lot?

Nothing fishy about your husband waiting with you in the bank to see if the bank was going to honor the check, which you weren't there to cash anyway, even though he had to be back at work?

Yeah, I guess it all sounds pure and innocent,,,,,, I must have a criminal imagination,,,,, watching too much TV.

So have you been arrested yet or are you held up in your house with the doors locked and the curtains (or sheets) closed tight?

Kane

The cop didn't arrest you, didn't lay a hand on you... all he did was "embarrass" you - and that's according to your side of the story.

As for your story... internet gambling sites don't just send out mysterious checks. If you had any questions about it, all you need to do is check your account online, and/or call them. In any case, you're never going to get a check unless or until you specifically request it. I suspect you know that, but didn't think anyone here would.

If the check was a fake (and it sounds like it was) why on earth would anybody go to the trouble of sending you a fake check? What do they possibly get out of it? The only person who benefits is you, assuming you're able to pawn it off on someone.

The "I only wanted to see if it was real" story sounds like a ploy to get out of trouble, in case you got caught. I suspect that's what the cop thought, and I suspect that's what what going on.

You're lucky that it worked (this time). You should stay away from bad check scams, from now on.

outonbail

If I was the OP, I wouldn't be posting a story I could print out to help prove my innocence, I'd be "F disking" my hard drive to erase all the incriminating evidence and burning those check writing / watermark programs before the Judge has the opportunity to sign that warrant!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">