• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bicycling Pink summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serravee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi all, I was hoping to get some advice about my options.

I was riding my bike in Central Park NYC today when I was stopped by a police officer for "reckless bicycle riding" because I dodged around a few pedestrians at a crosswalk in the park (which may or may not have been red at the time, I honestly don't remember; anyone who's spent any amount of time in Central Park will know that almost everybody is jaywalking/cyclists are crossing intersections on red). I was very alert at the time and actually braked so that I could hit a gap between pedestrians - to give a visual description, it would be like this:
X-> <-O
------------------
X and O are the pedestrians and the broken line is the crosswalk markings, I'm moving perpendicular to the dimension of the drawing, they were walking towards each other and they crossed each other, like this
<-O (Me) X->
------------------
And I hit that gap between them and passed safely.

On the ticket, it says I'm in violation of 1-05 (I) of Park Rules and the Admin Code (the boxes of VTL and Penal Law are not marked)

I was summoned to 346 Broadway.

I called a free consultation and they told me I could do 1 of 3 things (I have no priors btw)
-Argue it down to a traffic violation - a big minus is that the fee is like 200$
-Go and ask for an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal - gets the fee down to like 50ish and make sure I don't get caught for 6 months
-Ask for a dismissal

What do you think is the best option for me?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The last time I was down at 346 Broadway every defendant got a public defender whether they wanted one or not. I assume that is done to keep the system working faster. Why don't you go down there ahead of time to see how it works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">