• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonds on bench warrants, Cherokee County Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmoorega1977

I posted my legal problem on here recently, but the circumstances have changed.

I was arrested on a felony theft charge in Jan. 2011 and was bonded out within a few days. Shortly after I appeared in court for arraignment but was told that the arraignment was postponed and I would receive a letter telling me when I would have to appear. Since then I've moved a few times and apparently I didnt keep my current address up to date with the DA's office and I missed a 2 court dates (one in Nov. ;ast year and the other in Jan of this year) for arraignment and now a bench warrant has been issued. I did make a few attempts to call the ADA, but both times i left a voicemail stating what my updated address was. I know thats not a lot of effort on my part, but in my defense the bondsman who bonded me out originally ALWAYS knew exactly where I was at all times and never had any trouble contacting me.

First question: Why wasn't my bondsman contacted when I missed the first arraignment in stead of doing it after I missed the second one? Second, I called the jail and was told that the warrant is a "Type B Bench Warrant", what exactly is that? Third, how soon could I bond out again?

Im assuming that it might help my case that at 35 years old, I've never had anything other than a few traffic violations on my record, and the fact that I traveled over 400 miles to get here so I could turn myself in.

Ive mad arrangements to turn myself in before tomorrow morning so I am EXTREMELY pressed for time on this one. If anyone could offer advice or information, I would be very grateful.

FlyingRon

You don't need to be talking to the ADA. Your failure to appear is with the court. As you were ALREADY told the last time you inquired, you (or perhaps best your attorney) need to be contacting the court to arrange a future appearance. Unless you have had the appearance rescheduled, your only option is to surrender, and as pointed out, I'd do it early on a day the court is in session.

It's YOUR job, not your bondsman to make sure you appear, to make sure that your contact information is up to date, and to inquire with the court as to when you must appear. It is not the court or your bondsman or the DA's job to remind you that you have to appear for your criminal behavior.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">