• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of anti-harassment order? advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous_k84

My ex reported me for harassment and I was questionned by the police and asked to sign an anti-harassment order. I have had no contact with him since then. I recently signed up to a new dating site that asked me to add contacts from my address book, I clicked "ok" forgetting that he was still added as a contact (we rarely emailed). It sent him a request automatically. This was an honest mistake but I'm now worried that he will report me and I will be arrested. Where do I stand on this? I have since deleted my profile from the network.

Why don't you delete him from your contacts also. DO NOT contact him further to apologize, say it was a mistake, etc. You can explain all of that later if he decides to take action against you for violating the no-contact order.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The question that you deleted about what state you're in is there for a reason. Since laws vary from one state to another it is usually useful to know.

eerelations

A dating site that makes you give over your contacts so that it can send ads to them? Eeew! Not a dating site I'd wanna join...

ERAUPIKE

My ex reported me for harassment and I was questionned by the police and asked to sign an anti-harassment order. I have had no contact with him since then. I recently signed up to a new dating site that asked me to add contacts from my address book, I clicked "ok" forgetting that he was still added as a contact (we rarely emailed). It sent him a request automatically. This was an honest mistake but I'm now worried that he will report me and I will be arrested. Where do I stand on this? I have since deleted my profile from the network.
Best case, he ignores the email since it was sent from a third party.

Worst case, you will be found in violation of your order or in contempt of court. This will result in criminal charges against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">