• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking an Entering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tckiss

What is the name of your state? Id

My ex broke in to my storage unit. Went throught it as far as I can see nothings gone. I called the cops and wanted to press charges. Then told me I could not since he has the right to be on my property. Whats up with this? I have not give him any permission to do this. Plus my storage unit is not anywhere near my home. Why was I told this?

B

BillyBG

Is it public storage? And if so, is his name on the lease?

HomeGuru

tckiss said:
What is the name of your state? Id

My ex broke in to my storage unit. Went throught it as far as I can see nothings gone. I called the cops and wanted to press charges. Then told me I could not since he has the right to be on my property. Whats up with this? I have not give him any permission to do this. Plus my storage unit is not anywhere near my home. Why was I told this?
**A: who owns or has legal possession of the storage unit?

T

tckiss

its a storage unit that I rent from the trailer park I live in. No he is not on the lease. Its in my name only.

T

tckiss

No its not public its only for the people that live in the trailer park.

H

hexeliebe

Then is it a separate lease/rental agreement than the trailer and/or trailer space rental/lease or is it included in the same agreement.

If it's in the same agreement (a clause added to the rental of the trailer/space) is your BF on that lease/rental agreement?

T

tckiss

It not included with the rental agreement, its and extra fee and my ex is not listed on anything. The unit is not even close to my home.

JETX

Based solely on your post, the police should have accepted your complaint as a burglary.
Contact the police and ask for a supervisor. Explain that an officer was out there and refused to take your complaint. Ask that another officer be sent out. You might consider not stating that he was the subject, only that he is PROBABLY the suspect. Let them investigate it and take the appropriate action.

Last edited:

calatty

There could be a number of reasons the police did not pursue this. One, they could have considered this a domestic squabble. Two, nothing was missing so they didn't think it worth the state's time and money to get involved. Three, something in your story led them to believe your ex isn't your ex. Four, lack of proof that it was your ex who broke in. Etc., etc.

JETX

Calatty is correct. There are a number of possible reasons that the police didn't pursue the matter.

However, there is NO reason for the police to have not taken your complaint and at least performed SOME investigation into the incident. It appears (to me) that the police were told about the ex being suspected and got confused about his right to access. That is why I suggested you at least have them return and your NOT confusing them with YOUR opinion and to let them do the investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">