• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken laptop, data lost , file charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I got into a fight with my bf, he threw my laptop across the room and broke my laptop and shattered the harddrive. This is a laptop he bought for me as a gift, so I don't expect him to replace it, but I lost data on my harddrive. I tried to recover it, about 80% is recovered, but there were still many critical files to me that I have lost. He thinks if he buys me a new harddrive it will fix the problem, and he has offered to pay the costs of a new harddrive and for the data recovery, but he doesn't understand that there is some data that just can't be replaced by money. I am very upset that he broke my laptop because knows that the data on there is very important to me. Can I press charges for the rest of the data and how exactly does that work? thanks

outonbail

If the data can't be replaced by money, then please explain to me how having your boyfriend arrested, helps you with this lost data dilemma?

Did he assault you when the laptop went on it's final flight?

If these files were so important that money can't replace them, did you ever think of backing them up by burning copies on to a few Cd's and placing them out of your boyfriend's reach?

How will you prove what was once on your recently smashed hard drive?
How long ago did this data fly out of windows?

Have you considered filing a lawsuit in small claims court for compensation of your lost property?

Oh yeah, there is no amount of compensation that can correct this wrong,,,, aside from the joy you will receive in seeing your boyfriend wearing chains and receiving a criminal record.

Have you contacted your local law enforcement agency and inquired about filing a report for the intentional destruction of your personal property?

CdwJava

As mentioned, you can file charges for vandalism, but that will probably ruin the relationship if it still exists.

You can also sue him for the lost data, but unless there is a monetary value to replacing the data, that may prove to be a waste of time and money to even file in small claims court. You'd get far more for suing him to replace the computer.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">