• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother used my name, and now I have warrants.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SterlingArcher

Not sure if this is the right place for this but...My Brother had a warrant for his arrest and for about 6 months in 2005-2006 he used my name and information whenever he was stopped by the police and received 7 tickets (on separate occasions). Most were for no operators license (because I don't have my license) some I think were for no insurance. When the police finally arrested him for his warrant, he admitted to using my name and was charged for it (providing false information) and sent to prison. Somehow 2 of the 7 tickets slipped through the cracks. I found out about 3 months ago that I have 2 arrest warrants in my name for failure to appear on those two tickets. I called the State Trooper who wrote the tickets in 2006 and after explaining the situation, he told me to bring him a copy of my driving record and he would help me take care of it. That was 3 months ago. I have left 5 messages, and he refuses to call me back. I tried talking with some of the other troopers, but they told me He would have to take care of it. My brother is in prison and has said he would admit to it, But if I can't get in touch with this Trooper, What do I do ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
A trooper shouldn't be dealing with this.

You need to contact the court that issued the warrant's and deal with them. I can't see a trooper being in any position to help you.

SterlingArcher

A trooper shouldn't be dealing with this.

You need to contact the court that issued the warrant's and deal with them. I can't see a trooper being in any position to help you.
That's how I found out this troopers name, I contacted the clerk of court when I found out about the tickets, they gave me the case numbers and the Troopers name and they told me that I would have to contact the Trooper that issued the ticket. So who's wrong here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's how I found out this troopers name, I contacted the clerk of court when I found out about the tickets, they gave me the case numbers and the Troopers name and they told me that I would have to contact the Trooper that issued the ticket. So who's wrong here?
I'm going to restate HighwayMan's post with a little different wording. A trooper won't deal with this - it's out of his hands. You will need to speak with the folks that issued the warrant(s). You may need an attorney.

SterlingArcher

Thank you guy's for the information. I assumed I would need an attorney, but why would the Trooper tell me he would help me out and to bring him a copy of my driving record if he can't do anything about it ?

Zigner

Thank you guy's for the information. I assumed I would need an attorney, but why would the Trooper tell me he would help me out and to bring him a copy of my driving record if he can't do anything about it ?
Nobody but the trooper could answer that question...maybe he was going to try to do you a favor...no idea.

Silverplum

1. We don't ever know WHY people do things. We aren't mind readers.

2. You never said you spoke with the trooper, just a clerk. So now you've spoken with the trooper and he wants to help you: great!

ETA: Speedy Zig! :D

Zigner

1. We don't ever know WHY people do things. We aren't mind readers.

2. You never said you spoke with the trooper, just a clerk. So now you've spoken with the trooper and he wants to help you: great!

ETA: Speedy Zig! :D
To be fair, the OP did say that he spoke with the trooper - but that he hasn't been able to get hold of the trooper again since then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">