• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burglarized and violated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ANNIMARIE

What is the name of your state?
CA

I'm hoping there's somebody out there that can help me understand the law enforcement systems.

I have a restraining order against my estranged (and soon to be ex-) husband that was issued 1 1/2 years ago. The house I live in with my two year old son is rented by me, has never had my ex's name on the lease. He's been to the house a few times in the past to drop off or pick up our son.
Last Friday evening I got home from work and noticed that very specific things were missing from my home. Mine and my sons passports and birthcertificates, other personel documents like marriage license, etc., all my photos (approx. 700!), my sons artwork from school, mothers day presents, my wedding ring, some legal documents, a fanny pack that had nothing other than a membership to Legoland in it, my sons sleep doll, a keepsake box etc. (pretty much everything that makes up my life).
I immediately asked my neighbors if they had seen somebody at my house during the day. My neighbor gave a very detailed description of my ex husband and also his car. He said that when he came home at around noon he heard my garden shed opening or closing and then he saw my ex walk from my backyard to his car and driving off.
I called the police. When they came I noticed that the other thing that was missing was the restraining order. When the officers called the station they said there was no restraining order filed with the sheriff's department. Regarding the burglary they couldn't pick him up nor get a search warrant for his house because nobody saw him come directly out of the house, so while they can place him on my property, they can't proof he was in the house (??????)
They could not act on the restraining order violation because I didn't have a copy and they didn't have record, but told me to get another copy on Monday from the court house and bring it to the sheriffs office and then they could arrest him. I did exactly that, but when I came down to the sheriffs department they started giving me the run-around, telling me that they couldn't arrest him two days after the incident. They would have had to arrest him right then (again ?????) and now it's up to the District Attorney, IF the investigating detective decides that the case is even worth forwarding to the DA's office. Then the DA's office has to determine if it's worth to issue an arrest warrant. What they're basically telling me is "forget it lady. This is not important enough for us to do anything". I am beside myself. That man has been terrorizing me for two years and now he actually gets away with going into my house and stealing everything that dear to me, not to mention all my documents that I now have to replace.
Everybody I talk to says the same thing I'm saying: Given that he was on my property on the day that these very specific things were taken from my house (all my jewelry exept my wedding ring was still there) it has got to be a no-brainer that he was the one who took them. And nobody else, like me, can believe that it is possible for him to get away with this.
Anyway, does anybody out there have any idea if there's anything else I can do to make the authorities act?
Thanks for any feedback you can give!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">