• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

busted? at a sobriety checkpoint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krazykamil

What is the name of your state? Maryland
ast night i was out with my girlfriend and we ran into a sobriety checkpoint, now i wasnt drunk driving but apparently when i opened my window teh officer said he could smell marijuana. we werent smoking at the time but do so quite often. anyway after making me pull over the cop did the drunk eye test with me following teh pen. seeing i was sober he told my girlfriend to step out and then without asking or saying anything he just entered the car and started rummaging through it. he found my little glass spoon, a couple empty dime bags and a few packs of rolling papers. he said he was gonan let us go cause he was out looking for drunk drivers but then he took our info and said he was gonna issue a warrant out for our arrests and we would have to turn ourselves in when he calls us to tell us. so my question is do you think taht he really will do that? i meani think if he wanted to arrest us he wouldve last night. and is that an illegal search if he didnt ask or can he do that just cause of the smell. im not stressin over this too much but my gf is really worried. any advice. thanks

justalayman

Will he do it? Only he knows.

Can he do it? Yep.

Was it a legit search? Yep. He had reason to believe you possessed marijuana and the odor gave him probable cause to search. Seems the find vindicates him.

The Occultist

For people who don't smoke, anybody who does smoke (not just marijuana, but cigarettes and cigars as well) smells really really really bad. LONG after the last time they smoked.

every1sbuddy

no, dont do anything at all man... he wants you to turn yourself in. He is lying about the arrest warrant.. all they want to do is question you man. Just dont do anything, if they really do want to talk to you let them come.

Hell, if they did have an arrest warrant, they would have arrested you on the spot.

This is what cops want to do to get people to go to jail.

So my advice is: Dont do anything. Dont call them back, dont even go to the police station.

If they didnt find any marijuana, its so far good, it sucks though about your spoon and bags.. just dont worry about it and it possibly can blow over

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
no, dont do anything at all man... he wants you to turn yourself in. He is lying about the arrest warrant.. all they want to do is question you man. Just dont do anything, if they really do want to talk to you let them come.

Hell, if they did have an arrest warrant, they would have arrested you on the spot.

This is what cops want to do to get people to go to jail.

So my advice is: Dont do anything. Dont call them back, dont even go to the police station.

If they didnt find any marijuana, its so far good, it sucks though about your spoon and bags.. just dont worry about it and it possibly can blow over
yes, excellent legal advice :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
(please note the sarcasm)

krazykamil

i know this happend long ago but i finally got back onto the website so i figured id post an update. after blowing nearly a grand on a lwayer, the sissy university police officer that stopped us initially didnt show up and all charges were dropped both against me and my gf. i shoulda known something was up when i went to pick up the charging docs and he was shaking and sweating like crazy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">