• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California larceny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yorktown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I was arrested on Grand Larceny in California hired an attorney that fought the charges for about 8 mos or so. It was being dragged out for so long. My mother became sick so I had to return to the East Coast to take care of her. I flew back for 2 court dates. Both being my arraignment. No judgement was handed down. Frustrating me as I was running slowly on funds and lost my job. Now, Stuck in New york with my mom.

I plan to take care of this but need time to save money for a new attorney. Thanks to finding temp work.

What are the chances of being picked up in NYC?

And how should I go about it when I return to California?

CdwJava

No one can say how likely it is for you to be picked up in NY. If it is for a simple case of Grand Theft (PC 487) it is not likely they will extradite you. But, you never know. And while the warrant exists you will generally be ineligible fr many decent jobs, government assistance or loans, and will have to be concerned that any law enforcement contact could result in detention or arrest.

Your best bet would be to have an attorney try and arrange a surrender for you when you return to CA. Then, you can go to court and get the matter resolved and behind you.

- Carl

Yorktown

No one can say how likely it is for you to be picked up in NY. If it is for a simple case of Grand Theft (PC 487) it is not likely they will extradite you. But, you never know. And while the warrant exists you will generally be ineligible fr many decent jobs, government assistance or loans, and will have to be concerned that any law enforcement contact could result in detention or arrest.

Your best bet would be to have an attorney try and arrange a surrender for you when you return to CA. Then, you can go to court and get the matter resolved and behind you.

- Carl
You know what the odd thing about my case is?

They don't have the warrant under my Driver's license or Social Security number. That's the weird thing when I called to look up my record the Clerk said she has no driver's number or social attached to it. I thought that was very very strange.

Oh and Thank you for the advice. I know a good attorney in California but he costs 15K so it's going to take me some time to get this resolved unfortunately :(

Yorktown

Update: Called the clerk's office again and they found it difficult to find my case but we found it. I explained my situation to the clerk but she said that the Court have a warrant for me but didn't know anything about extradition for my case.

I'm still trying to save money so I can hire a new lawyer. The old lawyer doesn't even return my calls even after I already paid her :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">