• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the business search me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Puzuma

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Recently a friend of mine went to a paintball field. When he was leavng there was a sign posted at the entrance, "All persons and bags subject to search". They told him he had the choice of having his bag searched or he would not be permitted to leave.

Now the sign can ONLY be seen when you are leaving the property. There are no other warnings anywhere else on the property nor on thier website.

I can understand wanting to prevent/reduce the theft of field equipment but something about this smells fishy. Am I right or are they actually and legally able to force a search or detain someone?

CdwJava

Puzuma said:
I can understand wanting to prevent/reduce the theft of field equipment but something about this smells fishy. Am I right or are they actually and legally able to force a search or detain someone?
Can they FORCE it? Probably not. I suppose you could always wait there, call the police, and advise them that you are being held against your will. But if you ever want to go back there again, you have a choice - comply or don't go back.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">