• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can charges be dropped?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txsgirl74

What is the name of your state? TX

Situation:

Assault/Domestic Violence? charges were filed on ex-boyfriend. He broke up with the ex-girlfriend about 3 yrs ago and never lived with her. The guy married someone else in 2005.

After the alleged incident -- Detective called girl to ask if she wanted to pursue, she stated yes. However, about a 1 wk later she wants to retract/drop charges? What needs to be done? Can they be dropped? Will state pursue anyway?

Thanks for the information!What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That state absolutely can, and quite likely will continue to pursue the charges. The reason is that, all too often, abused persons will change their mind after some time has passed.

txsgirl74

What if she signed an affidavit stating she basically lied, because all this time she has been wanting him back. Can it be DV if they never lived together and it's and old relationship? He's been married to someone else for about 3 yrs.

Just Blue

What if she signed an affidavit stating she basically lied, because all this time she has been wanting him back. Can it be DV if they never lived together and it's and old relationship? He's been married to someone else for about 3 yrs.
She will be charged with Filing a False Police Report....But they still may persue charges...Cause battered women do this all the time...

Are you this girl? Or are you the wife of the guy?

CdwJava

More than 75% of victims recant within 48 hours ... it's closer to 85% by the time of trial. The state expects the victim to "go sideways" on them.

If she really wants to confess to a criminal act, that's up to her. What she needs to ask herself is: Would he go to jail to protect me?

If he really is an abuser, she's nuts to risk jail to get him off.

And, yes, it can be domestic violence if they are not living together. In most states, having a dating relationship, a prior relationship, or a child together are all sufficient foundations.

- Carl

txsgirl74

I'm just curious. I know several females that have indeed lied just to get back @ the males. I don't understand why people can't just let go...you know? It's sad that they can't act like grown ups. Thanks.

Just Blue

I'm just curious. I know several females that have indeed lied just to get back @ the males. I don't understand why people can't just let go...you know? It's sad that they can't act like grown ups. Thanks.
Agreed! I get pissed off when people "play" the system to get back at an ex...:mad:

CdwJava

txsgirl74 said:
I've known a few ... but I know of far more that lie to try and get their abuser off the hook. It is astonishing how many women will lie and risk jail just so that the lout that whacked them around will avoid facing the penalties for HIS actions.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">