• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can cops enter a house without a warrant? claiming that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uriahchase

What is the name of your state? Washington

...they saw illegal activity inside?

*her's the story* the cops came over to my friends house looking for him because he had been envolved in a hit and run earlier that day. My friend was not home but me and my girlfriend were there.( i don't have anywhere else to stay) I was sitting on the couch kinda transfering a little bit of dope (.5g or less) from one bag to another when i heard a knock at the door. So i starting putting everything away real fast so i could answer the door when i was interupted by the cops opening the door and grabbing me and putting me to the floor and cuffing me. they said that one of the two officers was looking through the window and saw me with the drugs and that's why they entered.

IS THAT LEGAL? :confused: DONT THEY NEED A SEARCH WARRANT?

You Are Guilty

uriahchase said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

...they saw illegal activity inside?

*her's the story* the cops came over to my friends house looking for him because he had been envolved in a hit and run earlier that day. My friend was not home but me and my girlfriend were there.( i don't have anywhere else to stay) I was sitting on the couch kinda transfering a little bit of dope (.5g or less) from one bag to another when i heard a knock at the door. So i starting putting everything away real fast so i could answer the door when i was interupted by the cops opening the door and grabbing me and putting me to the floor and cuffing me. they said that one of the two officers was looking through the window and saw me with the drugs and that's why they entered.

IS THAT LEGAL? :confused: DONT THEY NEED A SEARCH WARRANT?
Are you high now? You've got to be kidding.

uriahchase

what?

what kind of answer is that? i wouldn't be waisting my time here for fun. seriously... is that legal? and if so, what makes it legal? and if it wasn't... what should i do about this?

uriahchase

but what about privacy? it's not like they knocked and nobody answered and then decided to look inside through the window. AND still there was no search warrant.

You Are Guilty

uriahchase said:
but what about privacy? it's not like they knocked and nobody answered and then decided to look inside through the window. AND still there was no search warrant.
Once you can explain why you think the police need a search warrant for something illegal that's in plain sight (hint: google that), then maybe we can answer your questions.

BelizeBreeze

You Are Guilty said:
Once you can explain why you think the police need a search warrant for something illegal that's in plain sight (hint: google that), then maybe we can answer your questions.
But Your Honor, I wasn't in plain sight. They had to look in through the dirty window to see my illegal activity. :cool:

averad

BelizeBreeze said:
But Your Honor, I wasn't in plain sight. They had to look in through the dirty window to see my illegal activity. :cool:
Past the dinosaur sheet curtain.

I think this defense would be better:
OP:Your honor the room was so filled with smoke the officers couldn_t have seen the weed *laugh* damn that stuff was good.
Judge: ......
OP: O and here is my card just incase you *whisper* need a hook up *wisper*

Last edited:

CdwJava

If the police saw the dope from where they had a lawful right to be (at the door? Peering in a window from the front porch?) then they can make entry as they just observed what they believed to be a felony in progress.

Handling dope in plain sight is a dangerous proposition.

- Carl

uriahchase

and what if i had just been sitting there smoking a joint? would that be justifiable? and it's not a felony that was being commited in the first place!!;)

uriahchase

CdwJava said:
If the police saw the dope from where they had a lawful right to be (at the door? Peering in a window from the front porch?) then they can make entry as they just observed what they believed to be a felony in progress.

Handling dope in plain sight is a dangerous proposition.

- Carl
and there was no window you could look through from the front pourch.;)

CdwJava

uriahchase said:
and what if i had just been sitting there smoking a joint? would that be justifiable? and it's not a felony that was being commited in the first place!!;)
If the cops could articulate that it was a crime being committed in their presence? Sure!

I am not sure what level of offense smoking marijuana is in WA, but if it is a misdemeanor, why wouldn't they be permitted to go inside? After all, if they saw you punching your child - also likely a misdemeanor - they would be permitted to intervene there as well.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">