• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Deputies impound just for convenience of inventory?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobbedBySO

Can Deputies impound just for convenience of searching?

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

This is in conjunction with https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=286677

Can Deputies (legally) remove storage trailers from property; simply to make searching them more convenient for them? The search warrant authorized their SEARCH; but, they were NOT listed for seizure. They were just ready to go home; so, they called in a (VERY EXPENSIVE) wrecker and had them hauled to a private wrecker company's yard. (Which they're now telling me that I'M the one who's stuck with an almost $8,000 bill for their having done this, to keep from losing my property! Not only do I not have that kind of money, I don't even know anyone with that kind of money!!!) Aside from the fact that all charges were declined by the DA's office, after it became apparent that the allegations were false; they had already taken me off to jail, these were semi-trailers (not a simple matter of removing them); and, "securing the scene" could have just as easily have been accomplished by slapping on wheel locks and padlocks. They were sitting on private property, in a rural area, NOT even near any roadway; so, no argument could be made that they were "securing them for me."

Are counties protected by some sort of screwy "immunity" for travesties such as this? I was told by the A.D.A that a Deputy had called him for "legal advice" about what to do; since, they wanted to head home and finish searching the trailers later; and, that he had given them the okay to "bring them with you." (I'm not sure whether or not he understood that they were SEMI-trailers...) If I have recourse against the county, would it be against the S.O., the D.A's office, or both/combined action?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">