• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can hotels put hidden cameras in hotel rooms? And if they did, would it stand up ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TheBoss

What is the name of your state? IL

I was just always wondering about this. I travel alot, and I was just wondering if hotels are allowed to put hidden cameras in hotel rooms. Now I know people say no, but has this ever happened before?

And If so. Say for example someone was caught on video, would it even stand up in court. Or would it be thrown out? Ive just always wondered this.

HomeGuru

TheBoss said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I was just always wondering about this. I travel alot, and I was just wondering if hotels are allowed to put hidden cameras in hotel rooms. Now I know people say no, but has this ever happened before?

And If so. Say for example someone was caught on video, would it even stand up in court. Or would it be thrown out? Ive just always wondered this.

**A: do you carrry or deal in contraband or illegal activities ie drugs, prostitution, money laundering, counterfeiting.............?

CdwJava

I doubt that has ever (legally) occurred. And if it did, most (if not all) states have laws preventing such things.

If you are conducting illegal activity in your room, then forget what I said and relpace it with: "Every hotel room in the US is already equipped with video and audio monitoring devices."

- Carl

T

TheBoss

HomeGuru said:
**A: do you carrry or deal in contraband or illegal activities ie drugs, prostitution, money laundering, counterfeiting.............?
**** no. Ive thrown some parties in hotel rooms. Im a semi professional athlete. There have been times where people have been partying around me, and I was always nervous that someone could catch it on video .

TheBoss said:
**** no. Ive thrown some parties in hotel rooms. Im a semi professional athlete. There have been times where people have been partying around me, and I was always nervous that someone could catch it on video .
<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hey Boss,

I was a dark-suited 100,000 miles+/year road warrior for many years..."lived" in hotels six days a week.

Relax, "this is America", hotels would never install cameras behind those long ventilation grates up toward the ceiling, usually found on the "room side" of the bathroom wall....under the premise of "monitoring housekeeping personnel during room cleanings." And just because you see "sting" operations on shows like "Cops" every episode, does not mean they actually do things like that, especially after the Patriot Act allows questionable searches, now.

I'm also sure that the adjoining rooms probably do not have any factory reps that invested in "pin-hole" cameras/ audio spy tech gear to "spy" on rooms next door to amuse themselves on those boring business trip nites.

Being a semi-pro is probably no reason to worry that one of those party-animals might consider the monetary potential of snapping a few cell phone cam pics/vids of you in a comprimising atmosphere, to use later. That would be just be paranoid thinking on your part.....similar to thinking the bell hop,housekeeping,hotel conseniore, floor supervisor, hotel security, maintenence, or the hotel manager might ever entertain similar thoughts; even when they all have card access to every room.

And just because it is totally legal to video anything that is visible through your window curtains from the outside, does not mean people actually would do things like that. That is as silly as believing all room phones are monitored. Some paranoid people even believe that in 5 star hotels, you can lift the mattress up from the platform frame and find a stash of things left behind/hidden by embarassed guests that surprise even the most perverted minds. The drop ceiling tiles above the sink never has anything stashed in it either.

Nice hotels, as you know, would have housekeeping personnel that cleans all this up after each checkout,right? Thinking that your pillows with new cases just mask the accumulation of all the bodily fluids of prior guests' sex romps deposited on that bedspread that is not changed; is just being anal retentive about cameras.

After all, if you are not doing anything illegal, why should you be concerned about things like video surveillance at every intersection, RFID tags, biometric imaging,data mining your credit card, in room movie rentals, black box recorder in your rental car, itemized hotel bill, outbound call record, in/out room entry log on access card, running your drivers license against outstanding warrant databases, monitoring emails,computer data, hotel faxes/messages, personal credit ratings from hotel charge card transactions,(then selling it to list buyers) reviewing audio/video footage from all areas of hotel and elevators.

Jeez man, you need to relax, this is America, land of the free.
Next thing, you will be trying to tell us that all those ITS cameras on every corner are profiling registered owners against vehicle plates and the data is compiled, checked against a data base for possible "red flagging" when it is received on a huge bank of video monitors at a central monitoring facility.

We all know they are really just "Weather and Traffic" CCTV fiber optic networks to make it easier to get to work....
now don't we..........

Now, put down that copy of George Orwell's 1984, and have some fun. You are asking way too many questions. It is all in your head. Just watch the news. If stuff like that was true, you would see on the nightly news, right? Of course; and you don't, do you? OK then, you should feel much better.

Hope this helps. Life is too short to pay attention to what is happening with your privacy... Just get out there, win the game, and make us proud we bet money on you winning.!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">