• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i accept a gun as a gift without any paperwork?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Long story short someone got me a gun as a gift (i only plan to keep it at home and maybe take it to gun range) from a gun show where he's friends with the vendor and wasn't required to do much paperwork or whatever. They purchased it in a different state. So can i keep it legally or do i have to go through some procedure?

OHRoadwarrior

Here is the basic of the laws.

A license is needed to possess a handgun in one’s home or place of business. Application is made to the licensing officer of the city or county where the applicant resides, is principally employed, or where his principal place of business as a merchant or storekeeper is located. An alien may obtain a pistol license if he or she meets these requirements. The determination whether to grant the license is completely within the discretion of the licensing officer. However, the licensing officer must state specifically and concisely in writing the reasons for a denial. A denial can only be overturned in court if the denial is shown to be arbitrary and capricious.

Westchester County may require the applicant to successfully complete a firearms safety course and test in addition to meeting the other requirements. Other counties also require a safety course for license issuance.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Long story short someone got me a gun as a gift (i only plan to keep it at home and maybe take it to gun range) from a gun show where he's friends with the vendor and wasn't required to do much paperwork or whatever. They purchased it in a different state. So can i keep it legally or do i have to go through some procedure?
I suggest you go through ALL of the procedure. Go to your local police precenct and ask for an application.

you need to apply for a permit, and be licensed to keep the gun. It has to be registered as well.

swalsh411

I know a great deal about gun laws. The other posters who responded clearly do not, otherwise they would know that the answer depends on whether it is a handgun or long gun (rifle). So please provide that then I will give you the legally correct answer.

Banned_Princess

I know a great deal about gun laws. The other posters who responded clearly do not, otherwise they would know that the answer depends on whether it is a handgun or long gun (rifle). So please provide that then I will give you the legally correct answer.
I'm sorry, I was under the impression it was a hand gun.

NY hates Guns.

Good luck.

justalayman

what city do you live in? I know NYC has their own rules in addition to the state rules. I don't know what other cities also have their own rules as well.

OHRoadwarrior

Pat yourself on the shoulder and give yourself an Atta Girl if you feel better. The rest of us realized it was a handgun and not a rifle. Only gun nuts and mountain men refer to rifles as long guns.

swalsh411

Pat yourself on the shoulder and give yourself an Atta Girl if you feel better. The rest of us realized it was a handgun and not a rifle. Only gun nuts and mountain men refer to rifles as long guns.
You "realized" based on no information? You mean you guessed and happened to guess right. There is no way you could have provided a complete answer based on the information the OP provided.

Calling all long guns "rifles" is as incorrect as calling all homicides "murder". A shotgun for example is a long gun but not a rifle because it does not have a grooved barrel.

justalayman

NYC? Oh that sucks.

The application fee is $340.00.

Please note that effective March 19, 2012, the fingerprint fee is $91.50 for all applicants.

These fees may be paid by credit card or by two separate money orders made payable to the New York City Police Department.
I looked for some exception due to it being a musket. I would have expected to see one but haven't found it yet.

OHRoadwarrior

You "realized" based on no information? You mean you guessed and happened to guess right. There is no way you could have provided a complete answer based on the information the OP provided.

Calling all long guns "rifles" is as incorrect as calling all homicides "murder". A shotgun for example is a long gun but not a rifle because it does not have a grooved barrel.
So how do you rank a blunderbuss? A musket, that isn't a rifle, so it isn't a gun? Actually, I looked it up it is a smoothbore shoulder gun. OP could have been given one of those also. Fortunately, I called it as a handgun and gave OP the appropriate info, categorized as such.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">