• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I appeal if I plead nolo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hello4279

Rhode Island

The police were called out on a domestic violence call because my girlfriend and I were having a argument. Some lady called and my ex and I had already left before the police had arrived. They saw me walking, stopped and asked for I.D. I had other outstanding warrants at the time and that is why I was brought in. While I was serving the time for the other charges people at the court told me that if I plead nolo they would run the time for that charge concurrent with the others. I was 18 and stupid and even though I didn't do anything I didn't want to take the chance of serving more time. Now, I am still dealing with problems stemming from this arrest years ago. There was no complaining witness, my ex tried to have the charge dropped multiple times and is willing to do what she can now to help me get rid of this. Nothing had happened and so there was no proof for them to use in court. I want to know if I can appeal this judgment and have it out of my life and also off my record. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Indiana Filer

Rhode Island

The police were called out on a domestic violence call because my girlfriend and I were having a argument. Some lady called and my ex and I had already left before the police had arrived. They saw me walking, stopped and asked for I.D. I had other outstanding warrants at the time and that is why I was brought in. While I was serving the time for the other charges people at the court told me that if I plead nolo they would run the time for that charge concurrent with the others. I was 18 and stupid and even though I didn't do anything I didn't want to take the chance of serving more time. Now, I am still dealing with problems stemming from this arrest years ago. There was no complaining witness, my ex tried to have the charge dropped multiple times and is willing to do what she can now to help me get rid of this. Nothing had happened and so there was no proof for them to use in court. I want to know if I can appeal this judgment and have it out of my life and also off my record. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How many years ago did you plead in this case?

dave33

As part of ypur plea deal,you agree to give up your right to appeal.Also the R.I. supreme court ruled in 2008 it was a violation of your rights to not have the complaining witness in court.Sounds like your situation was prior to the ruling so your screwed.Almost impossible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">