• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be arrested for telling someone off/ cursing them out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WittyManOfStyle

What is the name of your state? Virginia

OK. Here's the whole story.

My cousin and I had a discussion a few hours prior to the incident. Then I came back to her and asked her a simple question "About what we talked on earlier, where did you get your information from?"

And she said to me in a rude manner (mean look, raised voice) "Are you trying to start an arguement with me?"

And for a good couple of years she's (my cousin) been using a smart attitude towards me, but I've always ignored it. BUT THIS TIME, I didn't ignore it. And I said in response...."Why do you always gotta be such a b*tch to me? I come in here trying to be nice to you and your constantly acting like an a$$hole towards me or someone else. This is why nobody likes you, this is why you have no friends, I may love you, but I ain't gotta like you" And I walked away, and after being about 30 feet away from her, I said to myself but aloud "What a fockin' slut" But I didn't look at her when I made that last remark. I just kept walking away in the opposite direction.

There were no witnesses, period. (This was at the job site, incase your wondering)

Later in the day her dad (my uncle) tells me that she took out a "warrant" on me.

Is it possible that I can get in deep trouble or arrested for this?

If so, could you guys explain to me what exactly will happen? Thanks!

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Virginia

OK. Here's the whole story.

My cousin and I had a discussion a few hours prior to the incident. Then I came back to her and asked her a simple question "About what we talked on earlier, where did you get your information from?"

And she said to me in a rude manner (mean look, raised voice) "Are you trying to start an arguement with me?"

And for a good couple of years she's (my cousin) been using a smart attitude towards me, but I've always ignored it. BUT THIS TIME, I didn't ignore it. And I said in response...."Why do you always gotta be such a b*tch to me? I come in here trying to be nice to you and your constantly acting like an a$$hole towards me or someone else. This is why nobody likes you, this is why you have no friends, I may love you, but I ain't gotta like you" And I walked away, and after being about 30 feet away from her, I said to myself but aloud "What a fockin' slut" But I didn't look at her when I made that last remark. I just kept walking away in the opposite direction.

There were no witnesses, period. (This was at the job site, incase your wondering)

Later in the day her dad (my uncle) tells me that she took out a "warrant" on me.

Is it possible that I can get in deep trouble or arrested for this?

If so, could you guys explain to me what exactly will happen? Thanks!
Only the DA can issue a warrent.

quincy

From what you have posted, you cannot be charged with any crime. The Constitution pretty much protects what you said to your cousin. The uncle and/or your cousin, as baystategirl said, cannot "take out a warrant". The most your cousin can do is file a complaint, which will wind up going nowhere.

las365

(This was at the job site, incase your wondering)
Well for one thing, engaging in arguments with co-workers and swearing at them and dropping the F-bomb at work are good ways to get fired.

The firm I work for represented one of our clients in a criminal case in which she was charged with (I think) assault and/or disturbing the peace after a parking-lot altercation with another woman at a big-box store. She was accused of calling the woman a bitch and the lady said that she felt threatened and thought our client was going to physically attack her. This happened in a small municipality that is inside a larger city. The case went to trial and our client was acquitted (neither woman had gotten out of her car, no witnesses heard her call the woman a bitch) but it cost her a couple of thousand in attorney fees. We wouldn't normally take such a case, but she is a client in another matter so we helped her out.

So it is possible to face criminal charges over something like this, but rare.

By the way, wittymanofstyle, if you behave in a way befitting your screen name, you shouldn't have to worry about this kind of problem!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">