• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcmeanashell

What is the name of your state? CA / NV

I plead guilty to a felony charge in California. I live in Nevada. I had a Public Defender in California, but he hasn't helped at all. I want to know if I can possibly do work furlough or probation in Nevada and need an attorney who is half interested in helping me. Do I retain a lawyer here in Nevada or there in California? Need help fast, sentencing is on the 23rd of the month...

reyn562

My strong suggestion to do is this: if your case is in California, fight the case in California, and you better appear in court in California. You can hire whatever lawyer you wish if you have the money, whether in California or in Nevada (if the Nevada attorney is willing to travel). You already pled guilty to the offense, so now it is up to the judge in terms of what he wants to sentence you to, subject to sentencing guidelines. If the judge sentences you to probation you will be placed on probation in California and in the county from which you were sentenced. Your probation can then be transferred to your proper jurisdiction through what is known as interstate impact.

Your attorney should work directly with the district attorney who is prosecuting the case, in hopes to get him to agree to recommend a light sentence for you. The outcome will depend on several factors, mostly your criminal history.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">