• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get charges dropped from overseas w/an arrest warrant out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tertiary3

What is the name of your state? CA

First of all thanks to so many helpful posters in advance to my question. I'll be quick and to the point.

I just heard that I may have a warrant for my arrest on charges of grand theft. The warrant would have been issued in late 2004. I have been out of the country for a few years now on business.

Important details are as follows:

1) The charges are probably due to my name being the "owner" on an ebay account/company that ended up closing down after profitably running for a 2 years on ebay. Many customers were not shipped, but the company closed down 3due to mismanagement, leaving a lot of debt. Nobody was enriched by the company closing down.

2) I owned 0% of the company, was not employed by the company, but was a consultant and did let the owner use my ebay and paypal account because his was suspended long because of some stupid ebay rule many many years ago. I was not a signatory on any accounts, a personal guarantor, nothing. (All of this is on paper).

My questions are:

1) Can an attorney help get the charges dropped if they can prove to the courts/police that I'm not even the account owner or person behind the supposed grand theft without me flying back to the US? (I have all paperwork with me and can fax or send originals).

2) If the charges cannot be dropped, how long might I sit in jail for in order to clear up something like this?

3) Is there even a chance that this can be pinned on me soley on the fact that my name is ebay and paypal account owner? Bear in mind ebay new that there was a Corporate entity operating the business (of which I only provided consulting services, no ownership, no employment) and given that there was no "grand theft" as far as I understand grand theft to mean?

Thanks again to all the helpful voices.

WISCharlie

Everything that you try to "admit" to is only a CMOA explanation.

You go down long time with 2 years and a wonder ass fine. 2 years is not that so bad joe, you must sign up gang and make good friend.

Last edited:

CdwJava

tertiary3 said:
1) Can an attorney help get the charges dropped if they can prove to the courts/police that I'm not even the account owner or person behind the supposed grand theft without me flying back to the US? (I have all paperwork with me and can fax or send originals).
Probably not. The court is going to want to see you in person as will the agency that requested the warrant be issued. Your attorney is not likely going to just be able to get it dropped. It might be possible, but until you hire an attorney who can look into the matter and the strength of the case against you, there is no way to say.

2) If the charges cannot be dropped, how long might I sit in jail for in order to clear up something like this?
It depends on the specific charges and how many counts. It would also depend on your prior criminal history. On it's face, you could face up to three years in prison for Grand Theft (PC 487) ... but I would doubt that this is the only charge you would be facing.

3) Is there even a chance that this can be pinned on me soley on the fact that my name is ebay and paypal account owner? Bear in mind ebay new that there was a Corporate entity operating the business (of which I only provided consulting services, no ownership, no employment) and given that there was no "grand theft" as far as I understand grand theft to mean?
Is there a chance? Sure. "eBay" is not a witness - people are. And you have no way to know what other people said about the nature of your involvement. Even being a consultant can leave you vulnerable to a criminal act committed by others ... just as being a consultant does not absolve you of responsibility if you intentionally misled people causing them to lose money.

Until you get that attorney who can look into the matter, you might never know.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">